8.5x55 Blaser

Kenneth McMillan

AH veteran
Joined
Oct 17, 2013
Messages
130
Reaction score
84
Articles
3
Member of
Safari Club International
Hunted
Norway, Scotland, Canada and Ireland
I have noticed on the blaser website that they have 8.5x55 Blaser Calibre in the R8 rifle. They say it is suitable for Moose and Large Antelopes such as Eland, Waterbuck, Kudu, Sable and Roan. It fires a .338 bullet in 230 grains. Now where legal would it be suitable for lion and leopard?
 
From what I have read on this,it almost matches a .318 WR but with a much shorter barrel. Seems absolutely perfect for plains game and I see is now available in Sauer rifles as well.

I am not sure what it is about the case design that makes it so suitable for a short barrel, but I imagine it is the short, fat case.
 
Is anyone using a 8.5x55? I suspect that the only downside to them would be ammunition availability.
 
Sounds like an interesting cartridge! Probably going to be a proprietary one though.
 
The 8.5x55 Blaser wouldn't kill anything that a 8x57, a 30.06 or a 8x68 couldn't.

But with all the alternatives life is much cheaper and easier in sense of factory ammunition...

Personally I would never buy a rifle in this proprietary caliber because of that...
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,253
Messages
1,570,775
Members
169,163
Latest member
LorenzaKae
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

autofire wrote on ThinAirHunter's profile.
I think forum prohibits making reference or giving personal references to PH/Outfitters that don't advertise on this forum.

But you can call me. I would be happy to discuss Cape Buffalo .

Bob 813-310-6992
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
 
Top