.500 Jeffery question

Glenn Slaven

AH enthusiast
Joined
May 27, 2018
Messages
437
Reaction score
785
Location
Baytown
Media
44
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Member of
NRA
I have always been a Dillon guy, but I can’t reload .500 Jeff with it. So I dusted off the old Lee hand primer that my dad used to use, and found it is not big enough to prime the brass. Am I missing something? Is there a special primer tool y’all use? Is there a shell holder for it that Lee makes? (Doesn’t look like the tool is big enough to accept the brass, so I don’t see how a shell holder would help.... ugh. This is a pain in the ass.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot (511).png
    Screenshot (511).png
    209.9 KB · Views: 272
Glen I am using a Hornady primer on the 375, 416Ruger and the 470 NE
 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2019-04-04 at 3.17.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-04 at 3.17.26 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 282
  • Screen Shot 2019-04-04 at 3.17.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-04 at 3.17.18 PM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 318
Last edited by a moderator:
Glen I am using a Hornady primer on the 375, 416Ruger and the 470 NE
Hornady hand primer won’t accept 500 Jeffery brass either as I just found out last night. I had to use the LNL positive priming press setup to prime my cases.
 
Hornady hand primer won’t accept 500 Jeffery brass either as I just found out last night. I had to use the LNL positive priming press setup to prime my cases.

Interesting. So it will not accept the proper size shell holder?
 
Interesting. So it will not accept the proper size shell holder?
No it accepts the shell holder no problems, the gap where the shell holder fits into the priming tool is not wide enough for the bottom edge of the case body to fit through, if that makes sense? I will take a photo and post it when I get a chance.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,275
Messages
1,571,368
Members
169,344
Latest member
linebet
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top