Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
For a rifle chambered in the 416 class of cartridges (416 Remington Mag or Rigby) is a 6x zoom really an advantage? There are some very good 1-4x scopes that are easily $500 less than their 1x-6x brethren. Also the lower zoom tends to be lighter and have a wider field of view. Will the shooter be disadvantaged with the less expensive 4x zoom?

For a rifle chambered in the 416 class of cartridges (416 Remington Mag or Rigby) is a 6x zoom really an advantage? There are some very good 1-4x scopes that are easily $500 less than their 1x-6x brethren. Also the lower zoom tends to be lighter and have a wider field of view. Will the shooter be disadvantaged with the less expensive 4x zoom?
There is something else to consider. When the magnification goes up, most manufactures also add features that are not available on the lower power scopes. Illumination is a big one. I had a Swaro Z8i 1-8x24 on my R8 416RM. It was too much scope for the caliber, but had the features I wanted so I paid the price and kept the scope dialed back to 1-4x in most cases. The only penalty for having the extra magnification is the price, you don't necessarily have to use it. Although I'd say better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

@Pheroze , since you are torn between 4x vs 6x, might I suggest the 5x.

1657712285925.png

@Pheroze , since you are torn between 4x vs 6x, might I suggest the 5x.

View attachment 476454
Thanks and that is a great price point!.

Here is my dilemma now:

Steiner ranger 4 1-4x - great fiber optic illumination, great eye relief and light weight(ish). About $1000 CDN

Kahles 1-5x great glass, great eye relief, better magnification. Not as crisp illumination. About $1600 CDN. Very light weight.

Leupold Fortis 6 1-6x great everything. Shorter eye relief and much heavier than the other two. About $1600 CDN.

If 1-4x is all the package this rifle needs then the Steiner is a true 1x alternative for much cheaper.

Thoughts for your consideration:

Eye relief - field shooting can disturb your normal positioning behind the scope - a tight eye box can cause a delay getting settled for the shot and your once-in-a-lifetime trophy bolts...

Weight - you carry the scope and mount 99% of the time. Leupold seems to have gotten this and makes lightweight equipment

Training - after zeroing, there should be no bench shooting - prone, seated kneeling, unsupported, against a tree/post, uphill, downhill - this costs money and precious few people will conduct such exercises - a 1-4X and lotsa practice trumps a 1-6X you are not trained on

I have to second BeeMaa on lit reticles - truly earth shaking change to using a scope to get on the animal quickly where they lurk (in shadows) - the VX-3 has the quality to get the job done - the VX-5s have the lit reticles now.

The Trijicon Accupoint 1-4X and 1-6X are sack of hammers tough and the fiber optic feed for daylight makes them glow. They are also in your price window.

Don't neglect the combat/hunting use of the reticle - many reticles are not easy to use and offer no advantage - the heavy duplex in Leupolds helps you to not lose your reticle - the ACSS reticles are very useful for hunting humans - consider a reticle that will facilitate getting onto and putting the bullet into your quarry. Another angle to this is to get a Leupold with their Custom Dial System - I have had superb results with this

I never feel like a fixed 4x is not enough scope for hunting. However going higher wont hurt a thing. I would look at other factors first like tube length, if it’s necessary for mounting and which adjustments and reticle you like more.

One other thing to consider is the recoil force and its effects on the scope. Some of the less expensive scopes are not built tough enough to withstand the recoil of big bores.

Thanks and that is a great price point!.

Here is my dilemma now:

Steiner ranger 4 1-4x - great fiber optic illumination, great eye relief and light weight(ish). About $1000 CDN

Kahles 1-5x great glass, great eye relief, better magnification. Not as crisp illumination. About $1600 CDN. Very light weight.

Leupold Fortis 6 1-6x great everything. Shorter eye relief and much heavier than the other two. About $1600 CDN.

If 1-4x is all the package this rifle needs then the Steiner is a true 1x alternative for much cheaper.
IMO - Kahles or Leupold and pick whichever one you will prefer. Difficult to have your cake and eat it too without the price going through the roof.

IMO - Kahles or Leupold and pick whichever one you will prefer. Difficult to have your cake and eat it too without the price going through the roof.
True. This one ticks a lot of boxes but I think is almost $2000 CDN
Screenshot_20220713-094718_Chrome.jpg

True. This one ticks a lot of boxes but I think is almost $2000 CDN
View attachment 476474
That is a great choice. It also gives you the option to rotate the scope 90 degrees (counter clock wise) to give yourself more space for top loading if you so choose. Although it would negate the usefulness of having the CDS option.

I never understood why scope manufactures put the windage turret on the right side. :unsure:

That is a great choice. It also gives you the option to rotate the scope 90 degrees (counter clock wise) to give yourself more space for top loading if you so choose. Although it would negate the usefulness of having the CDS option.

I never understood why scope manufactures put the windage turret on the right side. :unsure:
I just noted the paralex is set for 150 yards. Do you think this would hamper the close shots on DG? I am inclined to think not but really don't know.

No way I'd go over 4x if you plan on needing a quick shot under 100 yds and personally I'd prefer a 2.5x. Never looked through a PST so I don't know what the crosshairs look like.

'have this on the .416 (for the aforementioned reasons-it's fine for PG out to 300.) 1-6. 'Son has a Leupold 1.75-6 which is also very nice and super accurate. No batteries required. Super clear. Pinpoint accuracy w/ heavy handloads. 1,295 CN (i had to look at the latest exch rate!) I like to have at least 5x for 300 yds, but if you don't plan on shooting anything much beyond 250ish, 4x is actually fine (and you'll not likely have it on 4 when you're after DG.) What rings/bases do you intend to use, and if preserving the open sights, ensure that they're high enough such that you're not looking at the irons on 2.5x and below...416 Taylor is also an option (same 2,450 fps w/ 10-20 gr less powder.)

1657726386514.png
IMG_20180228_233116321.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I just noted the paralex is set for 150 yards. Do you think this would hamper the close shots on DG? I am inclined to think not but really don't know.
If parallax is fixed, there will be an amount of error at ALL other distances. That being said, the Leupold VX-3 1.5-5x20 that I had on my 375H&H was zeroed at 100 yards, and I never had any trouble with shots from 25 to 150 yards on game.

The most simple solution is a range card on the stock to make quick work of any "Kentucky windage" or hold over at distance. That's what I did and it worked like a charm. Low tech and quick to reference.

Truthfully, the range card is easier than having to adjust the parallax on the scope turret. The only downside of this is you need to know the approximate range of the animal (on an adjustable parallax scope you dial until the animal is in focus). This normally isn't a problem because your PH should have a range finder or at least be good at estimating range.

Last year I picked up a Zeiss Duralyt 1,2-5x36. It has an illuminated reticle. Since putting it on my 375 it has worked admirably on a driven boar hunt in Turkey at 1,2 and I was happy taking an oryx at 230 yards in Namibia in May.
the Duralyt is no longer made but they do turn up second hand on various sites.

416s are usually adorned with a 4x optic. It's got great light gathering and fast target acquisition. Usually you see the no longer made S&B and the Swaro Habicht as the preferred optics, although there is nothing wrong with a Swaro Z6 1-6x24 for that rifle as well.

416 Rigby rifles are overkill for plains game but in a one-gun safari they shoot quite flat and that 6x could open up doors for 200+ yard shots on Kudu, Eland, and Gemsbok or provide that extra bit of precision for a tough shot at close range from a blind. (e.g. Leopard and Croc)

Whether 4x or 6x, it is a dangerous game rifle so flawless scope mounting in a low or ultra low ring for rapid target acquisition is the most important thing. It has to come to your eye instantly or you've got a dangerous delay on your hands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babawanjimba

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!