Rare Breed

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
I am getting frustrated everyone! I look at the videos on YouTube but still just cannot get an RCBS case trimmer to work for my 470 NE brass. Therefore, I am starting from scratch and asking for help. I have the RCBS reloading system with chucker press that has worked for 15 years reloading for me which is great. Everything works to perfection except for my case trimming which is a disaster. Here are my questions please given the type of system I have:
1. What is the best-case trimmer to buy for my 470 NE?
2. What type of special plate holder for the brass and cutting collet do I need to buy given I know the standard ones do not work?

While I know the above is basic, I just am tired of messing up my brass and being disappointed.

As always, so very grateful for everyone's help!!!!

Have tried reaching out to RCBS? Following with interest.

I only answered part of your question (1).

2. I buy the case holder, it indexes off the shoulder. I also buy a cutter for each caliber. Say 30 cal, the cutter will work for 308,30 06, 300WM, 300Norma, ect.

I can trim, chamfer, and debur 5-6 cases in 10 seconds. Depending how good of a rhythm I get in.

I’ve always been very happy with my Forster Original Case trimmer for most brass and later bought a Forster Classic Trimmer for the magnum brass. I’ve trimmed .470 NE and .450 Rigby on it with no difficulty.

The Classic Kit with different pilots and collets will take care of anything from .22 Hornet to .50 BMG

Craig, I also have an RCBS but for the 470 I much prefer my LE Wilson trimmer. They will make you a holder if you send in a case.

You asked for the best...

Mine has trimmed north on 100k cases of various types. Still works as well now as the day I first used it.
You’re right…this looks incredible but I don’t want to spend this much. Thanks!

You’re right…this looks incredible but I don’t want to spend this much. Thanks!

Lol, how much is your time worth? You are buying time with this piece of kit. I do understand it not the cheapest option. When I was shooting competitions, a lot of my friends thought I was crazy paying 6k for a Prometheus (powder scale/ dispensers). I could throw 200 charges and seat the bullets in 1 hour ( conventional ways it would be 70 rds/ hour). Every charge was within .02 grs one way or the other. I told them all the same thing, how much is your time worth to you. That is a bit of an extreme example, I get that.

I rather shoot than reload, that's just me. Giving you a different perspective.

IMG_6875.png
Not that long ago, I bought this Case Trimmer/Collett which works with the Model 1400 and 2400 Redding Trimmers. It was pretty reasonable in price. It hasn’t arrived yet so I cant speak to its performance yet.

@Rare Breed

I feel your pain, I originally started with a custom Lee trim die and Lee speed trim.... very disappointing.

I then switched to the Forster Classic case trimmer and have been nothing but pleased with it.

The other option is a trim die that you use a file on, but they are hard to come by/ custom order and expensive.
Thanks everyone!!! I ordered the Forster Classic Trimmer with #6 collet and .474 trimmer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texas1836

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?