450 Grain in 416 Rigby

Dakota Hunter

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I thought about trying 450 Grain Woodleigh Weldcore out of a 416 Rigby on buffalo . Has anyone tried this combo ? How did they perform ?

The short answers are

Yes.
Well.

Granted, it's a small sample size - but my experience was 2 buffalo from 2 shots in quick succession - both bang flops.

img_5404-jpg.555828

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/australia-a-trip-up-north.77281/#post-1112535

Accuracy was good @ 50m

IMG_5196.jpg

Last edited:
The 410gr has more than enough sd in .416 caliber

Last edited:
The 410gr has more than enough sd 8n .416 caliber

Yep - given the Woodleigh supply situation post fire, I was unable to get 410s

450grains in 416 Rigby work very well. I have used the Norma factory ones, with their woodleigh RNSN's and FMJ's.

I thought about trying 450 Grain Woodleigh Weldcore out of a 416 Rigby on buffalo . Has anyone tried this combo ? How did they perform ?
At the range, 101 grains of Retumbo yielded 2250 fps and superb accuracy.

Penetration will be amazing. Probably useful on elephant and hippo but may be way too much on buffalo even softs. Solids might go completely front to back.

That depends a lot on bullet construction, the Woodleigh FMJ’s give decent but not crazy penetration.

450 grain Woodleigh FMJ will go through a large elephant bull with a lung shot behind the shoulder.

That depends a lot on bullet construction, the Woodleigh FMJ’s give decent but not crazy penetration.
True, but the relative lower velocity should help retain integrity. When I was working up loads for my Z.A. Magnum magazine article I $hot $everal hundred rounds of bullets into targets backed by a stout berm. I recovered several of the bullets. At Lott velocities the Woodleigh solids were torn apart as were the softs. The Hornady with the steel jackets held up a little better. A-frames mashed to the partition but OK. The Barnes held up well as expected. Dirt is a pretty impressive bullet stopper.

Over the last couple of years, I have become a huge fan of heavy for calibre projectiles when it comes to hunting big game. I have used 550 grain RNSN Woodleighs in my 450 Rigby on Buffalo, 350 grain RNSN Woodleighs in 375 on buffalo and 320 grain RNSN Woodleighs out of my 9.3X62 on Buffalo as well. Outstanding performance from all of them, can't speak for other brands but the heavy for calibre Woodleighs are my favourite big game projectiles by far.

Over the last couple of years, I have become a huge fan of heavy for calibre projectiles when it comes to hunting big game. I have used 550 grain RNSN Woodleighs in my 450 Rigby on Buffalo, 350 grain RNSN Woodleighs in 375 on buffalo and 320 grain RNSN Woodleighs out of my 9.3X62 on Buffalo as well. Outstanding performance from all of them, can't speak for other brands but the heavy for calibre Woodleighs are my favourite big game projectiles by far.
Nothing beats Big MO(mentum).

Trajectory is a little less flat and ranges are a bit lower than conventional 410Gr bullets. But punch is immense.

Used 550 grain Norma RNSN 450 Rigby rounds on water buff this year flattened them . Full length penetration with a soft nose . 2150fps . Just magic . The Norma heavy calibre ammo uses Woodleigh pills .

Shooting 430gr Rhino's in my 416 Rigby.
I can only imagine that the 450's will perform very well.
Please let us know how they go in your rifle.

Yeah for some reason being a Neanderthal I have found the original 410 or 400 in some loadings these days perfectly adequate......bit like fkn around with a Ferrari daytona..or Miura sv.....what's the point.....but have said this many times and sure I will again....reinventing the wheel....I await for the all the hot rod colonials to disagree..... (y) ;):E Shrug::E Rofl::D Beers:.....if you not happy get a 500 Jeffrey and stop pissing around....just saying....

Yeah for some reason being a Neanderthal I have found the original 410 or 400 in some loadings these days perfectly adequate......bit like fkn around with a Ferrari daytona..or Miura sv.....what's the point.....but have said this many times and sure I will again....reinventing the wheel....I await for the all the hot rod colonials to disagree..... (y) ;):E Shrug::E Rofl::D Beers:.....if you not happy get a 500 Jeffrey and stop pissing around....just saying....
LOL what is all this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SueLedoux9

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia