450/400-3”

I'll try to remember to weigh it. I am about to go out there and get a few things out to make some more safari planning videos. My next one is DG scopes. Get ready for toes to be stepped on!
I just watched it. Good video.

It's the cartridge I chose for my one and only SxS double rifle. I'm satisfied with its performance to date on Buffalo in Africa and Moose and Elk back home in Canada. Reasonably easy to handle the recoil AND powerful.

It's the cartridge I chose for my one and only SxS double rifle. I'm satisfied with its performance to date on Buffalo in Africa and Moose and Elk back home in Canada. Reasonably easy to handle the recoil AND powerful.
Oh good! Thank you for that info! I just bought a Krieghoff in that caliber. Hope to be as satisfied as you!

Thank you! That must be a sweet shooting double.
It really is amazing. The recoil is akin to a .375 and yet that 400g Barnes TSX is very effective.

JulieAnn your Krieghoff is a superb rifle. Hope you enjoy shooting it! Here's my advice - It took me a while to realize that I can't shoot my double the same technique that I use for bolt action rifles. Stance, grip, and trigger control are all a little different. A double requires a firm grip, resting the rifle only on the front end so it can recoil freely, and requires more than just a fingertip on the trigger to avoid strumming both triggers and "doubling". The most effective stance seems more like shotgun shooting to me, a slight lean forward with more weight on the front foot, and legs spread a bit more side to side than most would suggest for rifle shooting. Best wishes and good hunting!

For what it’s worth, I came close to ordering a Heym in .450/400 at SCI this year. Unfortunately, my Minister of Finance put the kabash on it.
Two of the PH’s I spoke with about doubles at the show, recommended the .450/400 for clients. The rep at the Heym booth was also very supportive of that choice. In his words: “It’s the first one you should buy and it will be the last you sell”
P.S.: I’m still working on getting the wife’s blessing.

I hunted Africa extensively with the 450-400-3" and a couple of 450-400-3.25/ the 3" was my all time favorite double rifle caliber, never found it lacking and couldn,t tell any difference on buffalo or elephant between it and the 500 or 577, the results was the same. I have always been a fan of the 40 caliber.

I hunted Africa extensively with the 450-400-3" and a couple of 450-400-3.25/ the 3" was my all time favorite double rifle caliber, never found it lacking and couldn,t tell any difference on buffalo or elephant between it and the 500 or 577, the results was the same. I have always been a fan of the 40 caliber.
Great to hear! Thank you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mamakatoo

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with