.416 Rigby - Will this stock hold up?

WisconsinKen

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hello Everyone.

I am looking at picking up a .416, preferably a Rigby. I found this one for sale, but it has a thumb hole stock.

I know everyone always talks about the recoil on the .416. There doesn’t seem to be a lot of “meat” in that thumb hole area. For those of you that shoot the .416, do you think this stock will hold up? Last thing I want to do is buy it, fly it somewhere exotic and then snap/crack the stock on the 2nd day. Keep in mind I like thumb hole stocks for my 30-06 and light and do not have experience shooting this configuration of a stock on something as powerful as a .416.

Thank you for your guidance.

Ken

1CA2E51D-04CF-4DF4-9919-E6888A3E45E9.jpeg
9F327A12-677A-467E-8CF8-2FDE3A9714E2.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with the posts above. I recently purchased a John Rigby Big Game and the stock is more of a classic shape that is based on the original design from 100 years ago. Pic below. The stock at the pistol grip is pretty stout.

DSC_0037 (2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Sir.
I have a RSM in 416 Rigby. Personally I wouldn't shoot one with a thumb hole.
That pic appears to be a Weatherby rifle?
I would rather keep my digits.
Best of luck in your search.

Meant to say that mine is a 416 Rigby. Recoil is stout but manageable.

I have a thumbhole R8 in 375H&H with light profile barrel and can shoot it no worries, but I think it wouldn’t work so well for my 416Rem. Unless the gun was made quite heavy the impact against your hand in between the thumb and the index finger could be painful.

So what you guys are saying is I should have made this into a survey?

A). Prepay your thumb surgery
B). Order a box of 20 rounds and the spare stock because you’ll need the latter before the first is gone
C). Have the camera ready to take a picture of it when the top part breaks and you have a cooler “custom” stock
D). Should not have a problem

Hello Everyone.

I am looking at picking up a .416, preferably a Rigby. I found this one for sale, but it has a thumb hole stock.

I know everyone always talks about the recoil on the .416. There doesn’t seem to be a lot of “meat” in that thumb hole area. For those of you that shoot the .416, do you think this stock will hold up? Last thing I want to do is buy it, fly it somewhere exotic and then snap/crack the stock on the 2nd day. Keep in mind I like thumb hole stocks for my 30-06 and light and do not have experience shooting this configuration of a stock on something as powerful as a .416.

Thank you for your guidance.

Ken

Is that a 416 Weatherby?

Also the shape of this stock looks like it would rise quite a bit with recoil and likely smack the shooter in the face.

So what you guys are saying is I should have made this into a survey?

A). Prepay your thumb surgery
B). Order a box of 20 rounds and the spare stock because you’ll need the latter before the first is gone
C). Have the camera ready to take a picture of it when the top part breaks and you have a cooler “custom” stock
D). Should not have a problem

I would not buy this rifle....

Stock (apart from the thumb hole) and action looks like Weatherby?

Yes, it is a Mark V. It is chambered for .416 Rigby not .416 Weatherby.
I don’t dislike the MkV actions. I think if I were to pick this up, I would have to allocate the money to restock it.

I don’t dislike the MkV actions. I think if I were to pick this up, I would have to allocate the money to restock it.
Yes a new stock would be mandatory (IMO) as that is about the worst stock I have seen for a 40 cal cartridge

I would definitely restock that .416 Rigby

I once had a 30-06 with a thumbhole stock, and while it was quick to aim and follow up repeat shots, the more angular pistol grip puts more stress on your wrist in recoil.
Not a problem with the 30-06, but big difference with the .416.
I've had both a Ruger RSM .416 Rigby and a CZ 550 in .416 and appreciated the CZ for the more open, shallower angle pistol grip.

Run Forest Run.....

I get carpal tunnel and my eyebrow starts to pain just looking at those pictures.

This Covid nonsense will open the buyers market up big time. Be patient and you’ll find a good .416 Rigby

When I was working for Art Alphin he warned me off from a thumbhole stock on dangerous game rifles - told me it would dislocate my thumb due to the recoil. I took his word on it and just used a conventional stock. I got the idea either he had learned the hard way, or was standing beside someone who learned the hard way.

Hmmmmm....... I think the general consensus would be to let this one lie where it is. I think I will bow to those who have more experience than me in this area and go look elsewhere :)
Thank you all for the fast feedback.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChangDimon

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia