Rare Breed

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Need help from my expert friends please. My new 450-400 has been shooting 410-411 diameter 400 grain bullets. I have an awesome deal on 408 diameter 400 grain bullets. Will I have a problem?

What would the problem be please? Really appreciate the help!

Need help from my expert friends please. My new 450-400 has been shooting 410-411 diameter 400 grain bullets. I have an awesome deal on 408 diameter 400 grain bullets. Will I have a problem?
I was advised by the fellow at Swift that their .410 would obtund and be perfectly fine with .411. But I believe that if the bullet is too small you will not have a predictable projectile.

Sent from my SM-G986W using New Forum mobile app

3 thousands too small will cost you a lot of velocity, and thats assuming you can even get them to seat as you will have significantly reduced neck tension. They will go bang and leave the barrel. They may even stabilize... but you will probably loose a few hundred feet per second and be wasting powder.

The 408s will not work correctly in the 450/400. You would have a very frustrating experience trying to get them to shoot well. They are great in the old 40/65 era of rifles that were built with .408 barrels.

Sorry to hijack your post Rare Breed, but I will be in the same boat soon. I have found .410 bullets, are they ok? Nobody has even mentioned .411 here in South Africa.

.410 will be fine

.410 will work like a champ.

I believe the modern standard CIP and SAAMI bullet diameter for the .450-400 3" is .410". That is the diameter that Hornady loads in their ammunition.

Old thread..but the original Kynoch drawings show bullet diameter 0.408.. But did Kynoch load bullets of that diameter in their pre-1967 ammo..? The new .450/400 3 1/4 from Kynamco is loaded with .408 bullets..perhaps discontinued now though..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yuvbfsgf365

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Shaker Crew | Kids Sweatshirt
https://www.braveactiveco.com/products/knit-sweatshirt
Comfortable and premium quality Knit Sweatshirt. Our Knit Sweatshirt is crafted with our exquisite recycled fabric, ensuring a soft and lightweight feel.
John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia