.404 Jeffery Rifle built by Randy Selby

arizonajake

AH senior member
Joined
Sep 1, 2020
Messages
81
Reaction score
178
Location
Oro Valley, Arizona
Media
2
Well, I received my Remington 1917 rifle from Randy Selby (a.k.a. "The Real Gunsmith) about a month ago. What follows is factual, detailing what I asked for and what I received for the amount of money I paid upfront.

1. Action work:
The rifle feeds flawlessly. However, the magazine box was cut too low and there is a gap between its bottom and the mating surface of the bottom metal. This makes the box drop about 1/8 of an inch and causes the magazine follower to hang-up when loading rounds. As mentioned, no problems feeding. I will be taking the magazine box to another gunsmith to have the bottom edges built-up in 4 places, so it will fit properly and stay in place. No issues with the bolt. Randy did an excellent job of polishing and bluing the bolt. No issues with the Timney trigger.

The magazine follower would hang-up when pushing the bolt forward with an empty magazine. I had to file the rear ridge of the follower to allow the bolt to slide over it.

The bottom of the action was full of grease and the action screws were loose. I had to degrease and reinstall using blue loctite.

The barreled action was perfectly bedded into the stock. Excellent work.

2. Barrel installation:
The barrel was installed by Pac Nor and produces 1-inch groups at 100 meters. Typical excellence from Pac Nor.

3. Sights:
I had asked for a shroud-type front sigh with a hood and what I got was a cheaper, screwed-in front sight, with no hood, which came-off the barrel under recoil while I was developing loads. Upon inspection, I noticed that the screw holding the front sight only engaged 1 turn. The threads on the barrel and sight screw were oily. I had to find a similar screw 1/16' longer, degrease everything and reinstall the front sight using red loctite. I then noticed a gap bewteen the rear part of the sight's base and the barrel.

I checked the rear sight and the screws have remained tight.

3. Bluing:
The bluing is flawless. a rich, dark blue, somewhere between gloss and matte. No complaints here.

4. Stock:
The Richards Microfit stock was very well fished in boiled linseed oil and wood-to-metal fit is excellent. I had asked to have cross bolts installed and no cross bolts were installed. So far, no signs of cracks anywhere in the stock, after approximately 40 rounds fired, mostly from the bench.

5. Scope mounts and bases:
The action was tapped and threaded with larger holes/screws for Talley. Again the mount screws were loose and the action holes and mount screws dirty.

The say "you get what you pay for" and it is mostly true. In this case, however, the verdict is: CAVEAT EMPTOR.
 
Last edited:
Pay peanuts and get monkeys....
Ask for referals.....before....
 
I have never had any type of work done to any of my guns by a gunsmith…And, not sure how one would proceed…But, have you spoke to Mr. Selby about your concerns?
 
Have you asked him to correct his mistakes? Or have you lost all trust in him.
 
I would definitely ask for an explanation and what he is going to do to make it right. I personally don't anyone except JJ or Todd R to touch any of my firearms.

I hope it gets sorted to your satisfaction.

Safe shooting
 
the problem is if he didn't get it right the first time then its the type of work he does , I say get it fixed the way you want by another gunsmith ,the front sight should be sweated on with barrel band especially for a heavy recoiling gun . ...Paul
 
this kind of variability is maddening. Doing excellent work on one operation and crap on another makes absolutely no sense to me. I’ve had it happen several times with different gunsmiths - each of which was crossed off the future list. For whatever reason sometimes they take on an “I’m an artist” mentality, when all they ever needed to be was a good mechanic.
 
arizonajake, I'm sorry to hear about the problems you have with your new 404 Jeffery. Randy Selby built my 404 Jeffery a few years back and I couldn't be happier with the rifle or his work. I'd suggest you contact him again to see what can be done to make you happy. Randy is one of the few guys that convert lesser calibers to 404 Jeffery.
 
I would definitely give him a chance to make it right. That said, I know too many guys over the years who warned me off of him, so I will not be giving him a chance.

That said, I am losing my interest in custom guns, as many, many gunsmiths, often with great reputations, will drop the ball in ways that I don't find acceptable when spending a lot of money and waiting a long time. Plus, the guns usually don't actually outperform factory guns, they just reflect some of your wants a little better. Sometimes.
 
Gunsmiths are a variable quantity in any equation. I have seen so many that put out their shingle after screwing together a few ARs and doing some (mediocre) pistolsmithing, that I only trust the four guys that I use for all my rifle and shotgun work. They know me and I know them. I pay the bill on time and don't whine if things go a bit sideways. Every one of them has AT LEAST 20 years experience and most of them a hell of a lot more. They get it right and deliver. I am too old for anything else.
 
I have never had any type of work done to any of my guns by a gunsmith…And, not sure how one would proceed…But, have you spoke to Mr. Selby about your concerns?
I am departing for South Africa the second week of July, so it is not worth my while to engage Mr. Selby in dialogue, ship the rifle back and forth, risking not getting it back on time.

All I can do is report the results of his work, so others can know what to expect.
 
arizonajake, I'm sorry to hear about the problems you have with your new 404 Jeffery. Randy Selby built my 404 Jeffery a few years back and I couldn't be happier with the rifle or his work. I'd suggest you contact him again to see what can be done to make you happy. Randy is one of the few guys that convert lesser calibers to 404 Jeffery.
Shootist,

As mentioned in a response a few minutes ago, it is not worth my while going back and forth, since it takes me less time and money to fix these things myself or with help from a friend who is a starting gunsmith and has the tools to do some of the minor work required to correct things. The rifle shoots great - sub MOA. It's his sloppiness after collecting a large chunk of change from me that is unacceptable.
 
Last edited:
I guess Randy isn't the real gunsmith after all! I think he's too full of himself, a lot of times on his videos he's dead wrong on certain subjects!
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,344
Messages
1,573,578
Members
169,764
Latest member
Yvette46G2
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top