400 Whelen advice

John J

AH enthusiast
Joined
Sep 14, 2017
Messages
499
Reaction score
859
Media
63
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
1
Australia/NZ
1
I picked up this rifle the other day. Remington model 1903, SN says it was made 1942. Should be way above the range of the bad heat treating situation. I have 400 Whelen basic brass on the way. The gunsmith that built the rifle cannot recall the job. I have been researching all I can. Based off what I have found so far I need to find out my chamber spec. Rifle appears to be barely used but has sat for a while according to the gun shop. According to my findings I need to fire form a case and try to accurately measure the shoulder for a diameter of .458. I do want the proper Griffin and Howe/ Petrov spec and will correct if need be. With the lack of dies and chamber spec, I have read 41 cal pistol die (neck size till case chambers) and 41 cal bullet should get me the info I need. Right now I can get Hornady 300 gr .411 diameter (405 Win bullet) jacketed or .40 cal (.400) cast, can't remember the weight, 180 gr? Any info, advice or a reputable smith familiar with this cartridge is appreciated, John
Snapchat-1722665671.jpg
 
ANY Remington '03 or A3 is safe and not affected by the early heat treat issues which only involved early Springfields and Rock Island actions.
Thats a pretty neat looking rifle though, though cant help you much on that caliber. Making a chamber cast might be a good idea though.
 
ANY Remington '03 or A3 is safe and not affected by the early heat treat issues which only involved early Springfields and Rock Island actions.
Thats a pretty neat looking rifle though, though cant help you much on that caliber. Making a chamber cast might be a good idea though.
Good to know thank you. The GS wasn't receptive to a chamber cast when I brought it up.
 
Could have someone else do it. Be nice to know if its an improved chamber for the sharper shoulder for better headspace control.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,305
Messages
1,572,271
Members
169,516
Latest member
MaisieUnl
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top