.338 win. mag.-285 grains

JLF

AH enthusiast
Joined
Jul 18, 2020
Messages
248
Reaction score
252
Media
12
285 grain bullets can be used for the .338 win. mag.?
 
I don't know why you couldn't use them. Western at one time loaded a 300 grain bullet.
 
Don't try it yet.
 
Yes, possible. Reason for asking??o_O
 
I shot some 275 gr Swift A-Frames in my 338 WM and did not like the grouping. My first and really only choice I use these days are 225 gr.
 
Woodleigh makes 300 grain bullets, and swift makes a 275 A frame. I don’t see what either would offer over 250 grain Swift A frame.
Agreed -250 is all you need. If you want to shoot 300grain it would be fine however I’d simply use a 375HH.
 
Once I started shooting 225 grain Barnes bullets I quit looking for any other for my Weatheby.

When I first sighted it in I tried 250 and 210 Noslers along with the 200 and 250 grain Hornady factory loads but those first three shots of the 225 grain Barnes X bullets at the time were all touching each other. Since then I refined my ammo to reloads only with 225 grain Barnes TTSX's. Outstanding groups and all everything that I have shot with them except for on animal have been one shot kills.
 
300 gn bullets might have had a place in the old days, but aframes etc make 250 gn as heavy as necessary, with the benefit of better trajectory.
a bit like 175 gn 7mm bullets.
bruce.
 
There are bullets made now that are 265 grain, 275, 280, 285 and 300. Barnes says that the 280 LRX will stabilize in a 1:10 twist, which surprises me since the bullet is 1.864 inches long. The old 300 grainers I shot were RN, cup and core, and of course much shorter. Lots of good advice above, but the best reason to shoot these bullets in any 338 is simply because you want to..............FWB
 
There are bullets made now that are 265 grain, 275, 280, 285 and 300. Barnes says that the 280 LRX will stabilize in a 1:10 twist, which surprises me since the bullet is 1.864 inches long. The old 300 grainers I shot were RN, cup and core, and of course much shorter. Lots of good advice above, but the best reason to shoot these bullets in any 338 is simply because you want to..............FWB
Exact..
 
I'm buying a single box of 285-grain Hornady Match tips.
I want to check the behavior at close range, 20 meters.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,426
Messages
1,575,890
Members
170,455
Latest member
TitusDrans
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top