338-06 BRASS!

Slick3006

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Good evening,

Well, I finally got my dream oddball caliber. Does anyone have any info on where to grab or buy any brass from a 338-06 for sale?

I’ll even buy any 338-06 ammo if you have some-reasonably priced of course.

I know, I know, it’s an oddball. However, I’m gonna take this rifle and do extraordinary things. I never was short on imagination. We dreamt big in the Magnolia State. Dreams were all we had.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Slick

I have about 5 boxes of Weatherby 338-'06 (headstamped) brass and dies I'd be happy to let go. PM me.

I found some Hornady brass and some Nosler brass. Also bought some Nosler ammo. Now if I could just find some 6.5-06 brass. And not Quality cartridge brass.

Get it while you can! I learned during the various Clinton, Obama and most recently the ongoing Brandon induced shortages to lay up enough of all components, no matter how common or abundant they may seem at the moment. For practice ammo, no issue lubing inside neck of 30-06 brass and running into 338-06 die. Helps to anneal the 30-06 neck before neck expanding but not absolutely necessary. However, normally you'll need your ammo/brass headstamp to match your rifle caliber for international travel.

I do not know if Norma is currently making any 338-06 brass. The 338-06 Weatherby marketed brass was made by Norma.

338-06 A Square aka "338-06 Weatherby Magnum" on the packaging :)

IMG_4912.JPG

So are you trying to sell some? If it is head stamped Weatherby mag it won't work if you run into Mr. Dick or Dickless firearms person in Africa.

So are you trying to sell some? If it is head stamped Weatherby mag it won't work if you run into Mr. Dick or Dickless firearms person in Africa.
NO not selling anything. I was trying to offer the OP some advice.... if you find some 338-06 brass get it. Simple! You can use 30-06 neck resized brass for practice or hunting locally. If you go to Africa for example you should have 338-06 head stamped brass to match the caliber of your rifle. Simple.

A quirk in the labeling of 338-06 brass by Weatherby is it is marked "338-06 Weatherby Magnum" on the box. The unprimed brass inside is marked 338-06 A-Sq which is correct for the SAAMI designation of the 338-06. I've taken my 338-06 marked rifle to Africa several times. All my ammo has the 338-06 A-Sq headstamp as sold by Weatherby and made by Norma. Not an issue. If you take some resized 30-06 brass there may be an issue. Simple. I'll add a couple more photos showing the "338-06 Weatherby Magnum" labeling with the new unprimed brass contained inside with the 338-06 A-Sq headstamp. Simple! Norma made this brass for Weatherby. Simple!

Screen Shot 2023-11-09 at 5.37.40 PM.png

IMG_4916.JPG

Thanks for your input. I have found a few people who were willing to sell some, so I do have some on the way. As far as any being produced, you’re correct-there isn’t any.

Resized 30-06 does seem to be the most common. I have contacted a couple of brass dealers and currently haven’t heard much. I got a good deal on the rifle, so I can have it re-barreled to something more common if the brass situation doesn’t improve.

Again, thanks for the knowledge.

Slick

@Slick3006,
It is a great caliber, so by all means shoot it some even with resized 30-06 before deciding. 338-06 brass is available but can be expensive. By all means contact those who have offered it and get the brass. Also, keep beating the internet bushes for sources. If you find a quantity of even 40 or so with correct headstamp set it aside for later use if you plan on using it in Africa. And work with the resized 30-06 to get used to the rifle, work up loads and for practice. An unrecognized beauty of the 338-06 is the abundance of good bullets. The popularity of the 338 Win Mag has assured that abundance and selection over the years. Another bonus is the guarantee that any premuium bullet tough enough for 338 Win Mag impact velocities is automatically strong enough for the more conservative 338-06 velocities. Good luck with the project

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MonroeDeva

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!