308 Reamer

BlueFlyer

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunted
Australia & New Zealand
Years ago I bought a Mauser 93 action & barrel chambered in 308W for $65. The barrel is now on its last legs.
I have a Maddco match barrel that I cut the chamber end off to make up a barrel adaptor for an Omark 44 action.
I now want to reprofile and fit the Maddco barrel to the Mauser 93 action to make a light weight back country rifle.
There are Tokar reamers out of Ukraine for US$110 delivered - some feedback is negative - has anyone experience of their product?
PTG have a basic solid pilot for US$115 or US$150 for a premium reamer - this is probably where I will go.

Or does anyone have have a 308W chamber reamer they would be happy to sell? Luckily there are no import problems getting chamber reamers into Australia.

I read enough bad reviews of those reamers to not even consider them as an option.

Sounds like you got a good deal either way!

Last edited:
I personally would avoid ordering direct from PTG. Too many horror stories about quality and shipping issues from them past few years from gunsmiths I know. Brownells has a good selection of reamers I’d look there first.

Opinions vary, however I have had good luck over several years on many occasions renting from 4D Rentals.

Opinions vary, however I have had good luck over several years on many occasions renting from 4D Rentals.
I’ve Ive heard the same. For clarification, I was referring to the Tokar brand. (One shouldn’t post while distracted! Apologies.)

renting from 4D Rentals
They would bve a great option - but they will not hire to customers in Australia. I have asked.
I personally would avoid ordering direct from PTG.
I used PTG for my custom 416/348 Ackley Improved reamer and it did take a long time (6mths)for it to be delivered - but I got it and the quality was first class.
I just called PTG and they have 308W in stock so I figure there should be no problems with delivery.
Brownells have taken 3 months to deliver magnum cross bolts to me in Australia, so I am not a big fan of them.
Think I am going to go with PTG - unless someone on the forum wants to sell a 308W reamer?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MercedesKu

Latest profile posts

Brian wrote on Skshyk's profile.
Thank for the laughing post! You have a keen sense of humour. I am usually able to just ignore those geniuses but this time I could not get past it. chuckle, Brian
Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better