270 Win/ What to do?

Fatback

AH legend
Joined
Aug 28, 2022
Messages
2,340
Reaction score
7,227
Location
Lowndes Co, Georgia
Media
69
Hunting reports
Africa
3
USA/Canada
2
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbawe and RSA
I was able to recently add a LH model 70, chambered in 270 win recently to my Winchester battery. Now I am debating on leaving it a 270 win or re-barreling it to another caliber. I already have or will soon have the following LH Model 70s

416 Rem Mag
375 H&H
300 Win Mag
30-06 Springfield

So I am debating on whether to keep the 270 a 270 or re-barrel to either a 25-06 Rem or a 280 Ackley Improved or something else??

This would have me covered for pretty much anything and everything I would ever hunt, anywhere in the world I believe. I am curious what everybody else thinks about what direction I should go with this project. I have gotten plenty of good advice from those much more knowledgeable than me on AH when it comes to rifles so I thought I would get input from y’all. Thanks.
 
If it’s a pre-64, leave it. Post 1964 and do as you wish.
 
It is not a pre 64. It is a New Haven early 2000s rifle. I am leaning towards keeping it a 270 just wanted to get some other opinions. I am a big fan of the 25-06 and have one in a Ruger M77 Mark II that is a real tack driver. I’ve never had or shot a 280 AI but have heard good things about them. Appreciate the input y’all.
 
I have a .270, .280AI, and the .30-06. They are all .30-06 based cartridges and all fill the same "slot," albeit in slightly different ways. If it were me, I'd test it as a 270 to see if it shoots. If it shoots to say a half to three-quarters of an inch, I'd leave it as a 270. If it does not, rebarrel as the 280AI.
 
280 AI all the way.
 
If it’s not a strong shooter ( 3/4-1 moa ) I would be inclined towards a 35whelen rebarrel
 
@poco,

I’ve got a 35 Whelen on the way. It is being built on a Ruger M77 Mark II rifle. I have decided that with my new 270, I am going to get my gunsmith to put a new trigger on it, bed it and free float the barrel and I’ll see what she does after that. I have had a Remington 700 chambered in 270 for 30 years now and love that rifle but adding a M70 in 270 Win was too good of an opportunity to pass up.
 
Keep it a 270. Find a 130 g load / bullet that it likes
 
Its hard to beat a 270 for an all-around rifle. I've shot several elk with it using a 150gr partition, and many other animals using a 130 gr. bullet. I've never had a failure with good shot placement. Perhaps the best known gun writer in history used it all over the world on many animals. Like several of your rifles, it is one of the great iconic calibers.
 
Shoot it!

I get decent results with Barnes 130 ttsx, and they are deadly

Screenshot_20211106-171941_Gallery.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Shoot it!

I get decent results with Barnes 130 ttsx, and they are deadly


This is precisely what I shoot in mine and the groups are that good or a skosh better.

But I sympathize with the OP - I’ve thought of making it into something else…but I’m growing tired of tinkering for minimal gains.
 
I think leave as .270Win if she shoots, 280AI is slightly better with heavier bullets but you have a 30/06-300Win for the heavies !
 
She stays a 270 with a few upgrades like new trigger, bedding and free floating the barrel. I’m sure it will be a shooter and look forward to giving a test run and hunting with it later this year. Appreciate the input from y’all.
 
Just myself I’d leave it a .270. It’s one of my favorite rounds. I admire and have used the .25-06 but .270 is more readily available if traveling. .280AI is a good round but not a huge improvement over being able to use factory .270 ammo in a pinch if needed.

i have a Winchester M70 post that was my first deer rifle, a Pre64 .270. Ruger number 1 lightweight. My next purchase is going to be either a M18 Mauser or Sauer 101 in .270 as a “modern” sporter.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,361
Messages
1,574,139
Members
169,905
Latest member
Vaughn9005
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

jnelson wrote on Jjhog's profile.
might think about getting these bullets to me
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top