20+ power target scope 1" tube, current mfg?

Ray B

AH ambassador
Joined
Aug 19, 2016
Messages
5,453
Reaction score
9,486
Location
WA St, USA
Media
81
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
1
I have an action that includes hard to get rings. I'm having it chambered for target shooting so would like to have a high quality new scope of 20-36x. The problem is that everything I see is 30-34mm tubes. Does anyone know of a current production quality target scope that has a 1" tube?
 
Weaver T36, 36 power. May not be one's definition of high quality but I've had a couple and they do the job.

Sightron has an offering:

 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 7.29.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 7.29.10 AM.png
    338.9 KB · Views: 117
Within a few days, I'll have an 8-25 Leupold VXIII (new, only installed on rifle) that I plan to replace with a more suitable hunting scope on a .22-250. They go for $1Kish but I'll part w/ it for 750ish. I'm unsure if it's NOS or new so 1" or 30mm TBD. IF the rings you have are of sufficient thickness and your target rifle isn't too huge a caliber, you can easily have a machine shop open your rings to accomodate a 30 mm scope. I had some really nice Austrian or German bock mounts that needed same (they were like 3/32" thick once bored out but never had an issue on a .375 using the newer VX 6 30mm.) They can also be align-bored to ensure the scope lines up with the bore (as many factory rings aren't quite perfect. A good gunsmith can do this as well. 25.4 mm to 30 mm.
 
Last edited:
Back story: the reason for a 1" tube target scope is the rifle came with 1" rings and the rifle is drilled for 8-40 screws. So rather than trying to fit a scope to the rings I am presently looking to get a set of rings for a larger (30 or 34mm) scope. I have Talley detachable rings but the bases to fit the FN action are 6-48. The rings that came with the rifle are Talley one-piece ring/base and have insufficient metal to ream out to 30mm, So if unable to locate suitable bases, probably the best solution would be to have the holes in the Talley detachable bases drilled out to a #8 hole. then I could fit a current mfg S&B or such scope.
 
I bought a bergara rifle last year that used the 8-40 screws and there were lots of options. What kind of action do you have?
 
What kind of action do you have?
It's an old FN large ring Mauser 98. I like Talley detachable rings so will probably go with Talley bases and have a gunsmith machine out the holes from 6 to 8. Building the rifle is a little more complicated than I'd hoped, in addition to the scope mount issue it seems only a few synthetic stock makers do the Mauser action- a lot more demand for Rem 700s. Oh well, I may end up with a wood stock- which is far from the worst thing
 
If the base hold downs are socket head cap screws and not flat heads, you can do it yourself. You'll need an 11/64 drill bit to open the base holes and dependent on the diameter of the cap screws, they may fit without opening up the counterbores.
 
Great news! I heard back from Talley. I can special order a set of bases with the holes opened to 8-40 for just an additional charge of $20. So I can get bases and rings for a larger diameter scope and not be limited to a 1" tube. :<)
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,317
Messages
1,572,751
Members
169,613
Latest member
Neil93603
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top