1990s Winchester 70 Better Infield Than Pre1964

Reaction score
Hunted
Namibia
I was told recently that the 1990s Winchester Model 70s or significantly better in the field than the pre1964. Barrel material better, build quality roughly the same, control round fed, so on. Is this accurate?

I love the nostalgia of the pre 64.. and you cant argue that the pre64's bring a lot more monetary value with the associated collectors market...

but from a functionality/reliability standpoint.. Im not sure the average guy out there, to include a "hard use" hunter type can tell much difference.. theyre going to function the same.. both be extremely reliable.. both are typically very accurate.. both are going to have similar quality fit and finish, etc..

for that reason I personally prefer the newer 70's... theyre going to be more affordable.. and Im going to get the same performance...

I've heard that the ones produced at the moment are pretty bad. I can honestly say have not held them. Everywhere I talk to has stopped carrying that brand. Better be fair. Everywhere I've talked to locally has stopped carrying nearly everything in the hunter would like, and started carrying AR platform.

I have owned all 3 versions you’ve mentioned…pre64s, 1990’s versions with controlled round feed (CRF), and the latest production, which is assembled in Portugal. The latest version is a better gun than the previous versions. I think the original trigger design is better than the latest MOA trigger, but that’s easily addressed with a good aftermarket unit. Fit and finish and barrel quality is far better now than ever before.

I thought we were into the fourth already, made in Japan. However you might be right, I'm working on rumors. I could be WAY off base. So you'd recommend it?

Yes, I have a few of them and they are really good guns. The model 70 has never been made in Japan. New Haven CT, then South Carolina, and now the parts are made in Belgium and assembled in Portugal.

Something special about old blued steel and walnut built by skilled craftsmen. The new rifles seem just fine but as are the 90’s classics but it is hard to beet the feeling of a Pre-64. The hand machine and fitting of the bolt on the Pre-64 22 Hornet is amazing, never again will that amount of labor and engineering go into adapting a rifle to feed like it was then.

Hi,

I have seen the SC an NH ones, but not one of the last FNs. I have a M70 Pre-64 (1954) 375 H&H since 1992, from a South African guy to came here for a ranch project. After a few years he went back to SA but left the rifle. I fired more than 1000 rounds, mostly reloads, 95% or more at the range, the rest hunting. I carried it in the Andes many years as my main hunting rifle. First with a Schmidt & Bender 1,25-4x20 and then with a Zeiss Victory 1,5-6x42 and a spare Zeiss Diatal ZA 4x32. I must say the original Pre-64s were semi custom or, better, semi series made. Almost all have little differences between samples, at least the 10 or so I have seen. Some, specially magnums H&H like my 375 and other two I have handle, had issues in the bedding. Easly fixed by the way.
Having said this, all Pre-64 I have had in my hands were made to be used seriously! No cast, light metal or plastic parts. The feeding is amazing, much better than the new ones I saw; the barrels are TOP!!! Fixing some bedding problems are, at least, MOA or better, rifles with good ammo and or reloads. My Winchester feeds cartridges and extracts fired cases as if there were none in the rifle! The magazine in both 300 and 375 H&H magnums is designed the Mauser way so they have 4 rounds capacity from the start without big belly. The trigger is fantastic, to say the least. The open sights were integral or well soldered and screwed to the barrel...
I know the prices of very good condition Pre-64 300 Win, 300 H&H, 338 Win, 375 H&H and, specially, the African Model 458 Win are, substantially higher than the last FN ones but, anyway, if I should chose one it would be an original Pre-64.

Best!

CF

Havent owned any 90's model 70's, but have owned several pre 64's and now have a newish Portugal rifle, a .338 Win Alaskan.
Both are good, but this new one is just as good in my view as any made. An excellent rifle in all ways.

As far as Japan made rifles, they dont as far as I know and never have made model 70's, they do and have made many lever action and single shot rifles for Winchester and probably others, but not model 70s. I have owned several of the lever guns made by Miroku and they do a very nice job on them.

The new Classic CRF Model 70 is a safer design than the Pre-64 with better overpressure gas venting. The parts are also cut with CNC machines to better match the specifications. That means no hand fitting is required. Trouble is there is no hand fitting on the new CRF M70's. There was plenty on the Pre-64 Model 70's. So much so that they function as intended as much as 87 years later.

Now the bad...
The magazine springs of the new Classic M70's can break. No problem, just replace that modern marvel with a surplus M98 Mauser spring.

Secondly, the extractors can break. Ask any gunsmith with 40 years experience how many Classic extractors they've replaced? Chances are a few. Then ask how many Pre-64 M70, M98, and P14/17 extractors they have replaced. Bet it is zero! The Classic extractors can however be upgraded to Pre-64 or even P14/17 and maybe a M98 extractor by a reasonably competent gunsmith.

I have both Pre-64 and new CRF Classic M70's. With a couple old, never do they break parts, and a few hours of carefully smoothing out the actions, the new Classics can function as good and be as reliable as a Pre-64.

Last edited:
The new Classic CRF Model 70 is a safer design than the Pre-64 with better overpressure gas venting. The parts are also cut with CNC machines to better match the specifications. That means no hand fitting is required. Trouble is there is no hand fitting on the new CRF M70's. There was plenty on the Pre-64 Model 70's. So much so that they function as intended as much as 87 years later.

Now the bad...
The magazine springs of the new Classic M70's can break. No problem, just replace that modern marvel with a surplus M98 Mauser spring.

Secondly, the extractors can break. Ask any gunsmith with 40 years experience how many Classic extractors they've replaced? Chances are a few. Then ask how many Pre-64 M70, M98, and P14/17 extractors they have replaced. Bet it is zero! The Classic extractors can however be upgraded to Pre-64 or even P14/17 and maybe a M98 extractor by a reasonably competent gunsmith.

I have both Pre-64 and new CRF Classic M70's. With a couple old, never do they break parts, and a few hours of carefully smoothing out the actions, the new Classics can function as good and be as reliable as a Pre-64.
That's very useful information, thanks

I have had all of them , all Have been wonderful, and super accurate & reliable
carried my .300wm from the equator to the arctic, hundreds of animals and days on the range, only one that ever gave me problems as a featherweight .264wm pre64 that burn the throat out @ 1100 rounds
my new sheep rifle is a M70 lightweight 270 @ 7 1/4 lbs scoped
IMG_0051.jpeg
IMG_0058.jpeg
IMG_0059.jpeg

I have/collect a boat load of pre 64’s - name a caliber, I probably have it. That being said, I only hunt with new production M70’s. Mechanically they’re excellent and have superb triggers - better than the pre’s.

I have/collect a boat load of pre 64’s - name a caliber, I probably have it. That being said, I only hunt with new production M70’s. Mechanically they’re excellent and have superb triggers - better than the pre’s.
Better pull, maybe. The original M70 trigger (it’s the same until FN took over production) is the most reliable, simplest, and best trigger ever put in hunting rifle. It can be easily adjusted to be very usable.
The original trigger is the biggest reason I prefer New Haven rifles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrandiBunn

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?