Angelo_orygun

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa, North America
Up for sale is a 1950 H&H magnum Model 70 action that I purchased in December of 2020 from Pre64win.

The action is complete and was originally in a rifle chambered in 300 RUM, my plan was to build a 404 Jeffery out of it. Pre64 broke the rifle down and blueprinted the action before sending it to me. I ended up buying an AHR build instead.

Their blueprint process includes the flowing (from their website):

Re-cutting and truing of the receiver barrel threads
Re-cutting and truing of the receiver bolt lugs
Re-cutting and truing of the receiver face
Lapping of the bolt lugs to the receiver lugs
Re-cutting and truing of the bolt face
Finish restoration of all surfaces (not done)

Asking $1500 shipped to your FFL if they accept non-FFL shipment. $1600 if it needs to come from an FFL.

Image1666668884.401037.jpg

IMG_4298.JPG

Image1666669146.813169.jpg

IMG_4301.JPG

IMG_4303.JPG
IMG_4306.JPG

Final image is shown with a 404 Jeffery case for reference.

Am I correct in concluding that the bolt face/extractor is opened to .55"?

Angelo, sent you a PM.

What was the original cartridge it was chambered for?

What was the original cartridge it was chambered for?

Not sure, I can dig out out Rule’s book and see if there is a lookup between 300 and 375 SNs.

It is the longer Group VII action with unfired cartridge length: 3.7"

Yeow! That is a nice foundation for a super custom build. If I didn't have too many similar I would not hesitate. Not sure about a 300 RUM being on a 1950 action ??? :) but no matter, I see the action and understand the work that has been done on it. Get an appropriate barrel from Krieger or PacNor and have a good smith mount it up correctly. A NOS Win 70 stock. Could even add a 1 pc bottom metal for simpler bedding. Pillar bed it- presto 1st class DG rifle.

Yeow! That is a nice foundation for a super custom build. If I didn't have too many similar I would not hesitate. Not sure about a 300 RUM being on a 1950 action ??? :) but no matter, I see the action and understand the work that has been done on it. Get an appropriate barrel from Krieger or PacNor and have a good smith mount it up correctly. A NOS Win 70 stock. Could even add a 1 pc bottom metal for simpler bedding. Pillar bed it- presto 1st class DG rifle.

Some poor soul built a “custom 300 RUM” out of it before it was purchased by me.

Image1669346822.247152.jpg
Image1669346830.990496.jpg

Different folks, different strokes!

Yep, figured it was a previous redo- must have damaged some hearing and set up the flinches :) However, that doesn't detract from the usefulness of the foundation action.

This is a fair deal for an excellent DG action. I’d have already bought it but my rifle builder was worried that the bolt face was just a bit too open for a .375 H&H, which is what I’m having him build for me. If I was going to build a .404 it would already be gone.

Notwithstanding what the seller said, that it is a .55" boltface, if it was for a RUM cartridge and was GOING to be a 404, but hadn't been done yet, it likely would still be a .532" boltface. The RUM cartridges have a rebated rim that is .532". Possibly the seller could recheck it and see if it had been opened to the .55 or not- as there are probably more people interested in a build with a .532 than a 55- at least I would be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LJBGabriel

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?