What to do with rifle if holidaying before or after hunt?

Luminous Ham

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunted
Namibia
What do y'all do with your rifle if you are taking some days or perhaps weeks of holiday before or after your hunt? Where do you keep your rifle? In my country (Denmark) it would not be legal to just leave it in your room, and my rifle anyhow represents a value larger than the value of my car - that just shows that I have a very old car, but still.

After the hunt you might be able to leave it in the hands of the outfitter, but might also be tricky depending on where he is located/you are holidaying. But what about before the hunt?

Any suggestions?

In Africa there are licensed agents who can store your weapon. I have done the same in Ireland and England.

It all depends on where you are going along with were you plan to depart SA.

A number of years ago we had a PH handle our rifles. He met us before we went to the airport.

The easiest thing would be to leave your rifle at home and rent one.

In Africa there are licensed agents who can store your weapon. I have done the same in Ireland and England.
Aha, great. Do you know any in Zimbabwe, Botswana and Namibia? I do not see those coming up when doing a search, only in South Africa, which is not relevant in my case.

I think I would contact your rifle importer that will take care of your import license, I used air2000 and they would store your rifle for you. You can also talk to Afton house or one of the other B&B type places if your going to be leaving from Johannesburg.

Thanks

Thanks. Yes, certainly the easiest thing would be to leave it home and rent one. But I want to bring it along, hence my question what to do with it.
Bring your own rifle! There are so many services that will easily handle that for you. Travel express and Gracey Travel can easily help you with that. Rifle Permits and Afton are just two that can easily do that and many more

Last edited by a moderator:
Bring your own rifle! There are so many services that will easily handle that for you. Travel express and Gracey Travel can easily help you with that. Rifle Permits and Afton are just two that can easily do that and many more
It looks to me as if these are in RSA? Looking for countries other than RSA.

For hunting outside of SA talk to your outfitter. He may be able to recommend someone.

Thanks. Seems to be no standard way of doing it. Talking to the outfitter is probably the way foreward.

And thanks for moving the threads, I had not seen there was a before and after group, excellent!

Two years ago I took a 10 day vacation in Zimbabwe prior to my hunt. I left my rifle with the outfitter.

Aha, great. Do you know any in Zimbabwe, Botswana and Namibia? I do not see those coming up when doing a search, only in South Africa, which is not relevant in my case.

I would ask your outfitter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gwol1f

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)