What Have You Killed with the 7x57

Took a JC Higgins and converted it to 7x57. Shoots very well for me and has become a good friend. It favors the 154g Hornadys. I keep trying but have not killed game with it yet. To me the 7x57 and the 6.5x55 are two of the best deer rounds there are.

This is my first post to this board. I am grateful to be a member of this board. I spend most of my time on Northwest Firearms. Be well.

Took a JC Higgins and converted it to 7x57. Shoots very well for me and has become a good friend. It favors the 154g Hornadys. I keep trying but have not killed game with it yet. To me the 7x57 and the 6.5x55 are two of the best deer rounds there are.

This is my first post to this board. I am grateful to be a member of this board. I spend most of my time on Northwest Firearms. Be well.
Welcome, lots of 7X57 (.275 Rigby) lovers here!

You have chosen Well grasshopper ;)

Man finally have some free times on my hand but I'm not complaining business is good at the moment.

20240516-165545.jpg

1st Kudu cow Thursday afternoon bullet entered on shoulder opposite and exited as per photo just behind the shoulder. She went 40 meters range was 120 meters.
Did not get time for poper photo session as we spotted two young impala rams and went after them and by the time they busted us it was too dark.

Next morning not even 10 minutes into our walk we bumped into another kudu cow 100 meters bullet went in behind the shoulder and exited on shoulder she managed 30 meters.

IMG-20240521-WA0018.jpg

2 hours later we bump into a herd of eland and tracker at first thought it was two bulls standing but at closer look they were both mature cows and one gave me a shot at 80 meters she jumped nicley at the shot and managed 30 meters. We waited 5 minutes before taking the tracks giving her time to pass.

20240517-092335.jpg

Was a dificult shot as her frontside was quartering but back half was broadside bullet eneterd infront of right leg and bullet ended on opposite shoulder just under skin.

20240517-090902.jpg

Will post some more details on bullet recovery thread.

Afternoon we took a stroll along the Limpopo for waterbuck or impala and bumped into two rams that were fighting. My friend who came along took the younger ram and after the shot the other ram came back and gave me a chance. I was not really after a trophy impala but could not resist this prime impala on the banks of the Limpopo river.

20240517-165100.jpg

Classic picture on the left my ram measuring in at 24 1/4" and the younger one on the right shot with 6.5x55 and 160gr interlock bullets two classics and a classic photo opportunity.

I think my 7x57 has passed its tests and understands what I expect from it.
Really fell in love with this calibre now.

Last edited by a moderator:
About an hour ago, I shot a young Kudu bull suffering from Rabies in the forehead with my MS 7x57.
It's very sad to see them in such poor condition.

About an hour ago, I shot a young Kudu bull suffering from Rabies in the forehead with my MS 7x57.
It's very sad to see them in such poor condition.
Is Nam having another rabies outbreak at the moment?
Between my late uncle and a few friends… everything from Dik Dik to Eland.
Point blank to 450m.
In my humble opinion, the 7x57 and 30-06 are the best plains game cartridges ever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
febeg91356

Latest profile posts

Safari Dave wrote on CoElkHunter's profile.
I didn't get drawn for Wyoming this year.

Are you planning to hunt Unit 4 this fall?

(Thinking about coming out)
another great review

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.
sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone