Show Us Your Hunting Knife

Latest knife off the bench, 9" x 1 1/2" x 1/4" forged 5160 steel, full tang with file work, copper liners, square lanyard hole, mosaic pins in carbon fiber tubing, and a file worked thumb rest. The handle material is antique Westinghouse micarta from the 1940's, love the color. It is being paired with the Colt Anaconda, all for a buddy who spends a lot of time fishing/hunting in Montana. I really like the setup, may do a 7" blade to pair with my Colt Python.
IMG_7760.jpg
IMG_7776.jpg
IMG_7767.jpg

Latest knife off the bench, 9" x 1 1/2" x 1/4" forged 5160 steel, full tang with file work, copper liners, square lanyard hole, mosaic pins in carbon fiber tubing, and a file worked thumb rest. The handle material is antique Westinghouse micarta from the 1940's, love the color. It is being paired with the Colt Anaconda, all for a buddy who spends a lot of time fishing/hunting in Montana. I really like the setup, may do a 7" blade to pair with my Colt Python.View attachment 609455View attachment 609456View attachment 609457
should work well for gutting pachyderms.

No pachy-derms in Montana but there are some serious Yogis and Boo Boos.
He wanted a general camp knife and last ditch bear defender. Hopefully it is only used for the former and never for the latter. Although we know of several instances of grizz attacking hunters with animals down, killed the guide and tore up a hunter pretty badly in one case.

For gutting things I would probably use something like this!
IMG_5781.jpg
IMG_5779.jpg
IMG_5769.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5768.jpg
    IMG_5768.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 9
No pachy-derms in Montana but there are some serious Yogis and Boo Boos.
He wanted a general camp knife and last ditch bear defender. Hopefully it is only used for the former and never for the latter. Although we know of several instances of grizz attacking hunters with animals down, killed the guide and tore up a hunter pretty badly in one case.
@WH1
You only need a knife that big for a bear attack if you are the slowest runner in the group.
Ha Ha Ha Ha
Bob

@Uxas
Top one has a great blade shape, plenty of body at the nose for skinning but a bit long to control for diner work.
Bottom one useless for skinning, look like it has been beaten to death on a triangle file. Needs a new edge profile before you can use it for boneing again.
Just my opinion.
Bob

This looks like a Canada goose. I was using a blade similar to this for the same purpose but found I was leaving too much meat on the bone. I switched to a Havalon that has replaceable blades for this...sharp as a scalpel while still being lightweight and packable. Now I get the entire breast tenderloin!
1717157578645.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gwol1f

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)