New Lipseys M77 .35 Whelen

Yes
Lipseys is offering the 22 Hornet African, later this year we hope
Sports South will be offering 300 win mag and 338 win mag in the African model later this year I hope to see. Ruger is running behind on production and getting them released from what I have been told by distributors

Yes
Lipseys is offering the 22 Hornet African, later this year we hope
Sports South will be offering 300 win mag and 338 win mag in the African model later this year I hope to see. Ruger is running behind on production and getting them released from what I have been told by distributors
Yeah, Ruger seems to have made a pretty good production run recently on the Africans, Alaskans and Guide Guns in .375 and .416 Ruger because they're quite plentiful on GB. I think the .300 and .338 in the African will be great with the longer 23" barrel.

I finally was able to get to the range this morning and work out this beautiful rifle. It did not disappoint! I started by sighting in the iron sights at 25 yards and then getting the scope on paper. I used the Hornady 200 grn SP’s for these first shots. Once I was close at 25 yards I moved back to 100 yards.

I shot two 3 shot groups with the remaining 6 Hornady rounds. The first group was 1.75”. Not great but not bad either. The final group with the Hornady ammo was sub MOA at about 7/8”. That was very exciting to see!

At this point I had 20 rounds through the rifle so I decided to clean the barrel to give the Barnes ammo a clean slate. I don’t know if this mattered or not but it’s what I did.

The first 3 shot group with the Barnes was about 8 inches low so after a scope adjustment I shot two more groups. The first was right at 1.5”. Again, not bad but not great. The second group was another sub MOA group at about 7/8”. I made a minor scope adjustment and shot a 4 shot group to verify and that group was just over an inch. At this point I was very satisfied if how the rifle was shooting and with point of impact. I sighted it at 3.5” high at 100 yards which should put my MPBR at about 290 yards. I can’t wait to hunt with this rifle this fall! Here’s a few pictures.

IMG_8217.jpg

IMG_8253.jpg

IMG_8258.jpg

IMG_8260.jpg

IMG_8257.jpg

209 Hunter, this is a good start that rifle obviously has potential. However, if you would allow me an observation / suggestion, I'd bet money on your group size improving IF you shot off a STURDIER BENCH. I own several 35 Whelen(s) and they all shoot sub-MOA. Not just once in a while but all the time.

209 Hunter, this is a good start that rifle obviously has potential. However, if you would allow me an observation / suggestion, I'd bet money on your group size improving IF you shot off a STURDIER BENCH. I own several 35 Whelen(s) and they all shoot sub-MOA. Not just once in a while but all the time.

I have no doubt that you are correct, this is just what I have to work with for now. Unfortunately I don’t have any good rifle ranges in my area. So this setup has to work for now

The Whelen is a great addition to the African line. I’m a little late to “acquiring “ these. Have they done a 300 h&h? I haven’t seen one except in a No. 1

Okay. How about the tang safety magnums? Any super 30’s? I’m starting research. Thanks

I have no doubt that you are correct, this is just what I have to work with for now. Unfortunately I don’t have any good rifle ranges in my area. So this setup has to work for now
Well, you have more range than I do, at home!

A Picnic table, and a 3-step ladder is pretty good for field testing (using a small sandbag and proper sling technique). Shot with this and compared to my bench results. I am not a Bullseye shooter, just want field hunting accuracy. Works.

I like Ruger rifles and the .35 Whelen cartridge. Have a #1, 24" barrel .35 Whelen and a couple more Whelen's.

I'm starting to succumb to the temptation of the M77 Hawkeye African, .35 Whelen.
Nice rifle.

Let me know what you find, I would like one in 30-06 with the 24" barrel in the African model. I do not think Ruger has ever made the 77 style in 30-06 with a 24" barrel?
I saw (briefly) that Cabela's had a short run of the M77 Hawkeye African, in 30-06, that came out in circa 2008.
And by brief, I mean only saw 2. I think they were probably "Sales Samples" meant for select executives from Cabela's.
Before all the corporate nonsense, acquisitions, and ridiculous inflation, I only saw 2 specific rifles for sale, and I have checked Cabela's weekly for 20 years.

Perhaps, AH members could lobby (politically charged word nowadays) LIPSEY'S, talk to Jason, to make a couple hundred Ruger M77 Hawkeys Africans in 30-06. They would sell all they can ship.

I saw (briefly) that Cabela's had a short run of the M77 Hawkeye African, in 30-06, that came out in circa 2008.
And by brief, I mean only saw 2. I think they were probably "Sales Samples" meant for select executives from Cabela's.
Before all the corporate nonsense, acquisitions, and ridiculous inflation, I only saw 2 specific rifles for sale, and I have checked Cabela's weekly for 20 years.

Perhaps, AH members could lobby (politically charged word nowadays) LIPSEY'S, talk to Jason, to make a couple hundred Ruger M77 Hawkeys Africans in 30-06. They would sell all they can ship.
I have talked to Jason about that exactly, hopefully next year? I have the African in 6.5x55, 9.3x62, and 300 Win Mag (with muzzlebrake). I have tried to find a 275 Rigby without luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goldpattern007

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.