New leupold will be here tomorrow

Well my new leupold will be delivered tomorrow, I took advantage of the sale they have now and got a vx-3hd 3.5-10x40mm with the firedot reticle they call them the twilight hunter I guess. I've always wanted to try the firedot and figure with the sale and now that here in New York we can hunt 30 minutes before sunrise and 30 after sunset the fire dot would be nice. I went with the 40mm other then the 50mm being $100 more I don't think it would fit as well. The scope will be going on that pre 64 model 70 supergrade 3006 that I'm bringing back from the dead, the gun is mostly be updated for the little budget I have and think this will work well.

I had to get some new rings, went with medium talley lightweights. I'd prefer lows but the quick math I did I belive I could make the bolt handle touch the eye piece so went with mediums to be safe. Some day I'd like to put some talley qd classics but just not in the budget at the moment. A friend said he was ordering me a set of alumnia caps for my birthday on the 27th, they are on sale for $109 for the set, again I always wanted to try them.

I'll have to figure out what load to stay with since it's got the cds turret, probably just be a 165 hotcor at whatever speed shoots good.

Please share your thoughts on the firedot I'm excited to give it a try.

@mauserhunter
Will be a great set up. For deer the hotcores ar good but I find the Hornady SSTs seem to kill quicker, expand better and drive deep. But hey thats me. To each there own
Bob

@mauserhunter
Will be a great set up. For deer the hotcores ar good but I find the Hornady SSTs seem to kill quicker, expand better and drive deep. But hey thats me. To each there own
Bob
I won't be using sst's anytime soon, they just blow up and waste way to much meat, I jellied one deer from the neck to the last rib one time. I've tried the new "tougher" sst and seen no different in 270 7mm and 30cal. The hotcor seem to just punch a clean 1.5" hole out the back of a deer and not bloodshot them much.

That's my worry I could barely afford this one firedot lol.
@mauserhunter
Just looked at the Australian prices. Well out of my pay grade even the VX3 like yours is $1,700 AUD. I'll stick with meopta no illuminated.
Bob

I won't be using sst's anytime soon, they just blow up and waste way to much meat, I jellied one deer from the neck to the last rib one time. I've tried the new "tougher" sst and seen no different in 270 7mm and 30cal. The hotcor seem to just punch a clean 1.5" hole out the back of a deer and not bloodshot them much.
@mauserhunter
They do tend to mess up a bit of meat. I shoot them behind the shoulder. there ain't much meat in the ribs and they usually go straight down.
My son loves the 150 gn SST in his 08 at 2,900fps. Dynamite in pigs. He has yet to bag a deer. Maybe this year .
Screenshot_20220828-171956_Gallery.jpg

A150gn SST recovered from his last pig
Bob

I have the same scope on a win model 70 pushfeed 30-06, it seems like a great scope, very clear and the fire dot just pops, haven’t hunted it yet, had a heck of a time when I tried to sight in the first time, but once I figured out how to dial it down it was great, take a small adjustable wrench with you and the small Allen key, got mine through R&M (Mark Biggerstaff) and the price was great (better than I could get through guidefitters with a govt discount), very pleased with mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gwol1f

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)