Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, Houston Safari Club Foundation, NWTF
Hunted
Idaho, Texas, Louisiana
Bob Knight passed yesterday.

Not much into sportsball of any stripe these days though I was religious about it as a younger man. Knight was a great coach, right up there with John Wooden, maybe better. Wooden was always blessed with a bunch of studs who went on to stellar NBA careers, Knight did his thing with a cast of characters nobody except the most die-hard college basketball fans remember (Isaiah Thomas alone excepted).

Abrasive as he often was, he was a kind man in a lot of ways. He will be missed.

He was an absolutely great coach

He was a great coach! He got the most out of the players he had. Former Louisville coach Denny Crum did the same. Yes, Coach Knight had his antics, but I enjoyed watching him, and whatever was happening at that moment. You never had to wonder for long what he thought about something. He was never one to shy away from telling the press exactly what was on his mind!

I remember reading a story about him years ago. It was after a final four in NOLA, he and his wife were driving back to Indiana. The exact details escape me, but as they were driving, they came upon a stranded motorist (near Mobile, AL if my memory serves). Anyway, they stopped to help. Ended up staying in Mobile overnight, put the stranded motorist (and family) up in a hotel, treated them to supper and helped them get their car fixed the next day.

I was a decent enough HS basketball player, just not good enough for D1 college. If I had been, Knight is the only guy I wanted to play for; and I say that as somebody who bleeds purple and gold.

He was a great coach.

I remember going to one of his games when Indiana was playing a local college. I think that we went to watch him as much as to watch the game itself.

Quite a legend and he will be sorely missed. Not many like him left. I remember him as the guy who poached the best high school girls coach in Oklahoma away and married her. Lol

Still...makes me want to throw a folding chair across a basketball court in his honor, lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DanielSide

Latest profile posts

Safari Dave wrote on CoElkHunter's profile.
I didn't get drawn for Wyoming this year.

Are you planning to hunt Unit 4 this fall?

(Thinking about coming out)
another great review

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.
sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone