I seek the advice of the brain trust - Of lefties

I have rifles on most of the LH actions made. The CZ is a good choice, I also like the Zastavas if you want another Mauser option. The MKV in LH is a great and tremendously strong action. The early Sakos, pre model 85 and pre Berretta ownership, as well as current Tikkas are all an excellent action. The Ruger in 375 Ruger Guide gun configuration is a great off the shelf option, and will shoot .5 out of the box with hand loads.

For another choice, check out K.S. Arms in Edmonton. They make left hand and right hand actions. They will also produce a barrelled action or a full rifle.

https://www.ksarms.com/

Several left handed 375 Rugers are listed on GB for $1200 or so. There might even be a 416 Ruger listed too. Buy one of these and you are in business and can spend more on the hunt.

I know two folks who have complained to me about ammo availability of 375 ruger.

I don’t know all budgets, but ER shaw in Pittsburgh will make you a bolt gun in any caliber under the sun. As long as you’ve got a year to wait lol.

Build off a lefty sako, or just find nice one and take it hunting. Safari rifles look best simple in my opinion.

Thanks everyone. I was able to find him a lefty Win 70 in a magnum action with a magnum bolt face. Now we just need to get it re barreled. We are dithering on 300 h&h or 350 rigby.
@Just a dude in BC
Go the 300H&H as much as I like the idea of the 350 rigby the 300 will be easier to find brass and a 35 Whelen Will do all the 340 rigby will.
Bob

@Just a dude in BC
Go the 300H&H as much as I like the idea of the 350 rigby the 300 will be easier to find brass and a 35 Whelen Will do all the 340 rigby will.
Bob
AH! but you see, his other rifle is a 416 rigby, so this means his plains and DG would both be rigby! Which is something a 35 whelen cannot do!

Also... It is noted that your solution also involves getting a 35 whelen ;)

AH! but you see, his other rifle is a 416 rigby, so this means his plains and DG would both be rigby! Which is something a 35 whelen cannot do!

Also... It is noted that your solution also involves getting a 35 whelen ;)
@Just a dude in BC
Well if that's the case 350 Rigby all the way. Loaded with nice 225gn Woodleigh or accubond for way out yonder or a nice 250, 275 or 280gn.
What's the availability of brass tho? That's the only hesitation I would have.
Bob

Hello everyone, BC Tal here, Just a Dude in BC's friend (despite him being right-handed) and the subject of the thread. To confirm, I did buy a Winchester model 70 Safari Express in left hand with CRF that was originally 375 H&H but re-bored to 416 RM as my project action. It was already modified so I don't feel bad about additional modifications. While some folks here (they know who they are :) are pushing for this re-barrel project to be in 350 Rigby to match my Ruger No 1 in 416 Rigby, and I would love to have a brace of Rigbys, it just isn't what I want. So it's going to K. S. Arms in Edmonton to be re-barreled to 300 H&H as my PG gun. The original front and rear sights and barrel band are all coming off and being placed on the new barrel of the same contour. The barrel will have a little more heft from not being bored out to .375 but I doubt it will be that much more weight. Pics of the donor rifle to follow shortly.

Here is my Winchester Model 70 left hand Safari Express. It’s on it’s way to K.S. Arms for re- barreling to 300 H&H. Should be ready by spring.
6F0A2483-C473-40E8-8074-83F39EF126B9.jpeg

It’s yours, but there’s no way I’d change a Safari Express LH to a 300 anything.

375, 416, 458 would be my choice, but again, it’s yours.
So, if you wanted a left hand 300 H&H in CRF for less than $5K by next spring, how would you do it?

Hello everyone, BC Tal here, Just a Dude in BC's friend (despite him being right-handed) and the subject of the thread. To confirm, I did buy a Winchester model 70 Safari Express in left hand with CRF that was originally 375 H&H but re-bored to 416 RM as my project action. It was already modified so I don't feel bad about additional modifications. While some folks here (they know who they are :) are pushing for this re-barrel project to be in 350 Rigby to match my Ruger No 1 in 416 Rigby, and I would love to have a brace of Rigbys, it just isn't what I want. So it's going to K. S. Arms in Edmonton to be re-barreled to 300 H&H as my PG gun. The original front and rear sights and barrel band are all coming off and being placed on the new barrel of the same contour. The barrel will have a little more heft from not being bored out to .375 but I doubt it will be that much more weight. Pics of the donor rifle to follow shortly.

That will be a nice setup. Good choice.

There are two Sako lefties in the AH classifieds
Altitude, I will 2nd the Sako LH action recommendation. I took Sako LH action from .25-06 and had it built into .30-06, added Krieger chrome moly barrel, jewel trigger, custom stock. Sub 3/4” groups and extremely smooth push feed action with short rotation bolt — very fast. The original trigger was so good that guy building recommended I keep it. Regarding the detachable mag - it’s excellent and very secure, I still carry a 2nd one but can’t imagine it will ever drop out - unless I fall off a cliff. My other LH custom is a .375 H&H built on a Winchester 7mag action - it’s CRF and floor plate mag - I prefer the push feed Sako and detachable but the whole “safety, dangerous game” thing got into my head and so I had it built according to that traditional thinking. The Browning ABolts and XBolt also have nice smooth actions and I would use them for a custom rifle as well, their detachable mags are also very secure, unlike some found on my remingtons.

so it is you that took it from the hands of clay and his team. good choice,
Medvedhunting,
Did you see this rifle when it was for sale at Prophet River Firearms? I watch their website almost daily. They are a great bunch to deal with and they do take a lot of money from me

Medvedhunting,
Did you see this rifle when it was for sale at Prophet River Firearms? I watch their website almost daily. They are a great bunch to deal with and they do take a lot of money from me
yes indeed likewise.

i was looking for a 458 winmag and had no interested for the caliber it was in but it was a good price, and you can even gain some money in selling the barrel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carl.ts125

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Bill J H wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Do you still have this rifle? I'm in the KC area on business and I'm very interested.
Safari Dave wrote on CoElkHunter's profile.
I didn't get drawn for Wyoming this year.

Are you planning to hunt Unit 4 this fall?

(Thinking about coming out)
another great review

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.