Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
RMEF, DU, NRA
Hunted
US, Canada, South Africa
Hi all.

I was on my first safari in March '23. Had the time of my life. Harvested 7 animals. 6 with horns plus a zebra.

I am having a floor rug made with the zebra hide. I kept the hides from 5 of the 6 others and am having them shipped along with the horn shield mount. Splitting Images has them now. I expect them in a few months. I have room on my walls for these 5 hides, I plan on hanging them alongside an 8x10 photo of the animal taken at the harvest site.

My question for the experienced folks here is this: What kind of hardware do you use to hang a hide ? I really don't want to poke holes in the hide with a nail or fastener. Are there any types of hooks/hangers that you have used ? I was thinking of a type of hardware that is mounted to the wall and attaches the hide with a clip similar to a strong clothes pin.

How do you hang your hides on the wall ?

If anyone has any experience, advice or suggestions I'd appreciate it. Thank you.

Stormy

If your having backing (like a rug) sewn on the hides ask the taxidermist to sew in D rings to hang them.

For heavy skins I have hot glued a small portion of felt on back then sewed the D rings on that. Watch the temp on glue gun, some thin skins wrinkle if glue is too hot. For smaller skins I have used small sewing pins, stick thru hide on edge and under hair then into drywall/sheetrock. Pins do not normally show on skins when you move/re-arrange them.

I am unaware of any clip type hangers that would work. Will follow and see what our site taxidermists say.

MB

For heavy skins I have hot glued a small portion of felt on back then sewed the D rings on that. Watch the temp on glue gun, some thin skins wrinkle if glue is too hot. For smaller skins I have used small sewing pins, stick thru hide on edge and under hair then into drywall/sheetrock. Pins do not normally show on skins when you move/re-arrange them.

I am unaware of any clip type hangers that would work. Will follow and see what our site taxidermists say.

MB
For that I would advise contact cement rather than hot glue. It's stronger and not as brittle. I'm sure it would be possible to peel the felt off at a later date if desired.

I hung mine with upholstery nails. The holes are so small they're almost invisible. And the nails have decorative bronze heads that look appropriate.
20210912_143559.jpg

The reason I like the hot glue is if for whatever reason you want to remove, a reheat and peel and skin is back to original. Not sure how to remove contact cement, if ever needed removal.

Not sure about others but my memories in memory room tend to move every so many years. Mostly due to new specie additions.

MB

The reason I like the hot glue is if for whatever reason you want to remove, a reheat and peel and skin is back to original. Not sure how to remove contact cement, if ever needed removal.

Not sure about others but my memories in memory room tend to move every so many years. Mostly due to new specie additions.

MB
The felt should peel off. Any contact cement left on the leather side would be as supple and soft as the leather. You'd never know it was there whatever you decided to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gwol1f

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)