Grace Engineering Acquires Montana Rifle Company

What would make you think a rail is "unreliable." A one piece rail will have both rings in alignment because they are mounted on the same plane end to end. In theory anyway, a rail must be more rigid than two-piece bases.
I think with this action we are talking about hunting rifles, not benchrest or super tack driver long range stuff, so any action stiffness or rigidity is secondary to weight and aesthetics. There are plenty of good bases, rings, and one-piece ringmounts that are lighter, effective, and way more attractive than pic rails. As far as Africa is concerned I will not go hunting there with an ugly rifle.

Accuracy is attractive.

IMG_0112.jpeg

IMG_0111.jpeg

IMG_2751.jpeg

I think with this action we are talking about hunting rifles, not benchrest or super tack driver long range stuff, so any action stiffness or rigidity is secondary to weight and aesthetics. There are plenty of good bases, rings, and one-piece ringmounts that are lighter, effective, and way more attractive than pic rails. As far as Africa is concerned I will not go hunting there with an ugly rifle.
The mounts on my two African rifles were sold as pic rails ... but sorta are not. Most pic rails are made for detachable magazine rifles. However, for rifles, like classical African guns that must be loaded from the top, a full width, full length rail can conceivably get in the way of loading. So these "pic" rails have a cutout over the magazine for loading. Ring slots are eliminated in the cutout zone to maintain rail strength. So they function like a pic rail but not nearly as ugly. In fact, my rails are almost indistinguishable from the old classic one-piece bases that are commonly found on some African rifles (e.g. Leopold). My rails have the added advantage of being able to mate to generic "Weaver style" rings. My rifles have Warne Quick Detach rings so I can opt for iron sights or scope as the situation dictates.
20231119_114717.jpg

Would that be any less accurate with two piece bases?
Possibly. Depends on how accurately the holes for the two bases have been located, how much uniformity in machining receiver dimensions, quality of bases, etc. A one piece pic rail is (or should be) uniform width and height end to end. If the rings are the same manufacture and height, it's essentially impossible for them to NOT be in alignment when mounted on a rail. Much easier for them to be misaligned on two separate bases.

Possibly. Depends on how accurately the holes for the two bases have been located, how much uniformity in machining receiver dimensions, quality of bases, etc. A one piece pic rail is (or should be) uniform width and height end to end. If the rings are the same manufacture and height, it's essentially impossible for them to NOT be in alignment when mounted on a rail. Much easier for them to be misaligned on two separate bases.
It was a 50% genuine question, 50% I’d never want something that ugly on my rifle sort of comment.

Some of you have me scratching my head to understand one question. The way MRC set these Pic mounts, once rings are on, the mount is not visible, the same as with a Weaver or Talley base. There is no rail in the middle.

What is the difference, I’m not seeing it?

Some of you have me scratching my head to understand one question. The way MRC set these Pic mounts, once rings are on, the mount is not visible, the same as with a Weaver or Talley base. There is no rail in the middle.

What is the difference, I’m not seeing it?
A pair of scope rings would not cover all the several "ugly" slots in each half of the MRC integral split rail. Warne split steel bases are similar with several slots in the forward base. Only one or two slots will be concealed. Look closely at the image of my rifle above. Scope rings are mounted and still three pic slots are visible, one next to rear ring and two behind the front ring.

Probably the most useful thing about this setup is it allows for much more freedom in positioning the scope. Neither the scope bell nor turrets will inhibit proper eye relief.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BriannaBla

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)