Yellow fever shot required when coming from Zambia?

RolandtheHeadless

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
My Zambian outfitter said we'd need proof of a yellow fever vaccination when traveling from Zambia to S. Africa. But I can't confirm this information anywhere else.

The US Center for Disease Control lists Zambia as low-risk for yellow fever, and S. Africa is not listed as one of the countries that require yellow fever vaccinations for travelers from low-risk countries. http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2016/infectious-diseases-related-to-travel/yellow-fever#4733

Actually, my wife and I will be going from SAR to Zambia, to Zimbabwe for a day, then back to SAR for departure from Africa. SAR and Zim are listed as no-risk countries. We're willing to get the shots if required, but would like to avoid any risks from unnecessary vaccinations.

I've just checked with the travel agency as i am flying Zambia-RSA tomorrow and back next week.
Officially no Yellow Fever required.
According to the travel agent, the owner of the agency was asked last week for her Yellow Fever certificate. seems a bit of "luck of the draw" !
I have mine and its valid for 10yrs so probably best to get one if you are travelling. Could avoid a multitude of headaches if some stubborn ass at immigration does ask!

https://www.passporthealthusa.com/destination-advice/south-africa/entry-exit-requirements/

Understanding the particular conditions for entry into and exit from South Africa is especially important for travelers arriving from other African nations:

Travelers entering South Africa from WHO-designated yellow fever countries are required to present their current and valid “International Certificate of Vaccination as approved by the World Health Organization (WHO)” (commonly called a “yellow card”) or statement of medical exemption (also located on the same yellow card). Additionally, South Africa treats Zambia and Tanzania as yellow fever countries. This requirement is imposed on travelers flying to South Africa via yellow fever countries, even when transiting passengers are required to stay on board the plane (e.g., flights stopping in Dakar, Senegal or Accra, Ghana or Nairobi, Kenya), or if the plane makes an unscheduled landing in a yellow fever country. As a precaution, all travelers to South Africa should carry their original yellow card. Letters, scans, copies, or faxes regarding prior yellow fever vaccination will not be accepted. While this requirement may not be consistently applied, travelers who cannot present an original and currently valid yellow card when asked will be refused entry into South Africa. Yellow fever vaccinations are not administered at South African ports of entry for the purpose of entry into South Africa. Travelers are reminded that they are required to obtain a yellow fever vaccination at least 10 days prior to their arrival in South Africa in accordance with WHO regulations. South Africa may apply these requirements on people traveling from or through both high-risk yellow fever countries and low-risk yellow fever countries

I had to be immunised before I could leave Australia for Zambia, last year
no needle , no Zambia
and the yellow booklet was checked upon arrival in Zambia , and again at perth on the way home

zambia has been yellow fever free for quite a while, but sa for some reason decided about 4 years ago to implement the requirement of anyone travelling from zambia to sa to have a vaccination .......then last year it was revoked as zambia was yet again proved to be yellow fever free.....i havent been asked for my certificate since late 2014. its the same as other countries where you need it if coming or spending over a certain length of time in transit from a country that is considered infected.

http://www.zambiatourism.com/zambias-yellow-fever-free-status-good-for-tourism-in-2015

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/traveler/none/zambia

The problem is going to be what are you going to do if you run into that person that wants to see your proof of vaccination as you come into South Africa? Are you going to argue that you don't need it and end up spending a few more weeks in Zambia?

The problem is going to be what are you going to do if you run into that person that wants to see your proof of vaccination as you come into South Africa? Are you going to argue that you don't need it and end up spending a few more weeks in Zambia?

not a problem ;)

Thanks for posting this.

I've just landed in Jhb from Zambia. No one asked about my yellow fever and I did not see any signs or notices anywhere.
If you have time, better safe than sorry though.

Better to have it IMO.

Two guys I trust have been running in and out of Zambia frequently into RSA have not been asked about it at all, as recently as yesterday. Says a lot.
The policy has obviously changed and may have caused some confusion.

Ask the Outfitter where he is getting the advice from.
What is the SOURCE for the information they are using!
Confirm the concern from that angle.

I asked again and the outfitter said this:

"They did drop the requirement last year for yellow fever shots but we do still recommend it & possibly a good prophylactic for malaria."

I asked again and the outfitter said this:

"They did drop the requirement last year for yellow fever shots but we do still recommend it & possibly a good prophylactic for malaria."

Someone has been hanging around the Witch Doctors.

Shona_witch_doctor_Zimbabwe.jpgE1.jpg

Let's apply some first world medicine.

Dr_Ruster.jpg

Yellow fever is a disease caused by a flavivirus that is transmitted by the bite of an infected mosquito. It gets its name from the yellowing of the skin and eyes (jaundice) that occurs when the virus attacks the liver. Yellow fever can be prevented by a vaccine.

Malaria is a serious and occasionally fatal disease. It is caused by one of five different parasites in the Plasmodium family, and is spread to humans by the bite of an infected mosquito.

There is no vaccine available against malaria. Chemoprophylaxis (anti-malarial medication) may be considered to prevent malaria.

If I have misread his advice and he is suggesting a Malaria prophylactic, get after it. Zambia Malaria Map.

hunting-zambia.gif

BUT, If they are saying Yellow Fever Vac is a Malaria prophylactic , please refer to previous post!

Perhaps that is why the outfitter is a outfitter and not a doctor. :A Blowup:

No, he's talking about yellow fever shots and malaria pills. I didn't include our prior conversation, which may be necessary for proper context.

We've already decided to get the malaria pills. It's the yellow fever shots I'm questioning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VeronicaRo

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]