Want To Buy Or Trade For 458 Win Ammo

Fatback

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
I recently acquired a 458 Win model 70. Don’t really need another DG rifle as I have a 404J and a couple of 375 H&Hs, with a 416 Rem getting built now. My intention is to probably re-barrel this rifle to something else. However, curiosity has gotten the best of me and I want to shoot the rifle before I make a final decision.

With that in mind I don’t want to spend a bunch on ammo if I’m not going to keep it a 458. Anybody willing to sell 10 rounds of ammo or trade for some other ammo. I have 416 Rem, 375 H&H, 300 Win, 30-06, 270 Win, 25-06 and 243 Win available for trade.

I would prefer a trade but beggars can’t be choosers. Just send me a PM if there is any interest and I can get you the specifics on the ammo I have available for trade.

Thanks.

I'd re barrel it to a .416 Taylor if you eventually decide not to keep it as a .458WM? Same cartridge case and no fiddling around with rails or magazine modifications.

I recently acquired a 458 Win model 70. Don’t really need another DG rifle as I have a 404J and a couple of 375 H&Hs, with a 416 Rem getting built now. My intention is to probably re-barrel this rifle to something else. However, curiosity has gotten the best of me and I want to shoot the rifle before I make a final decision.

With that in mind I don’t want to spend a bunch on ammo if I’m not going to keep it a 458. Anybody willing to sell 10 rounds of ammo or trade for some other ammo. I have 416 Rem, 375 H&H, 300 Win, 30-06, 270 Win, 25-06 and 243 Win available for trade.

I would prefer a trade but beggars can’t be choosers. Just send me a PM if there is any interest and I can get you the specifics on the ammo I have available for trade.

Thanks.
'Might have some (sold the 458.) I will check by the weekend...Consider reaming it out to 458 Lott/Ackley/Wyatt, so long as the action/mag length can accomodate. (3.34" vs. 3.60"). Agreed fully w/ the Chatfield-Taylor comment above (I have one, and it loses nothing to the larger cased 416s-2,450 fps using 400 gr slugs. An upgrade from 458 WM.)

Last edited:
Your most recent post reminded me I was having coffee with my back to the reloading bench and boxes of stuff... I must have sold any loaded ammo and bullets with the gun but I did come up with two boxes of new brass showing the 375 as I've got plenty of that and don't need it either.

17146497892184335143578418683759.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember very well that factory fusion 500 grain shot best out of the 458 it clocked in at 2090 ft per second my son took a buffalo at 20 yards with it one shot. Hot hand loads wouldn't do much better than that and I recall the 450 grain Barnes doing 2250 which Kevin Robertson claimed was probably the best you could do with the WM on Buffalo. Also limit the range.

Got a few rounds headed my way. As always, appreciate the fine folks on here being willing to help each other out. Thanks

@Ridge Runner, I am in South Central Georgia.

Thought if you were close enough to Chattanooga we could meet up in a couple of weeks and I could hand the ammo off to you, maybe find a range and (l need to) get some badly needed range time in.

Glad you have some on the way.

@Ridge Runner I appreciate the offer. If you find yourself headed south to Florida for any reason give me a shout. I’ve got a place not far off of I-75 that we can shoot out to 200 yards without issue.

@Ridge Runner I appreciate the offer. If you find yourself headed south to Florida for any reason give me a shout. I’ve got a place not far off of I-75 that we can shoot out to 200 yards without issue.
Will do.
I finally think I found the right land in Kentucky to buy. So hopefully after or while the house is being built I can get a 400 yard range built out the back door, about 100 feet or so from the back sliding door. Or at least on the other side of the driveway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColinSutcl

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.
dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross
FDP wrote on dogcat1's profile.
Hello, did both follow through with their transactions? If not, I'll take a pair
Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!