Wanted Double Rifle

Krieghoff, Blaser and I think Merkel have decockers.

To me this is important.

Heym may be more stylish gun, but my first choice would be Krieghoff every day of the week no matter my budget.

Blaser S-2's are clunky and made with a clamshell action. I think they are beutiful, but not everyone else does. They have not made S-2s in quite a few years, but they are out there.

When I first started looking into doubles I almost pulled the trigger on a Sabatti but heeded @Rare Breed and a few other members advice and opted to spend a little more. I've since bought a cased Merkel 140AE in 500NE and a Chapuis Elan in 470NE.

I've found I like the fit and feel of the Chapuis better than the Merkel. I think Rare Breed is the opposite and preferred his Merkel the best. I know 2 different PH's that prefer the Merkel over the Chapuis. I keep dragging my feet on selling the Merkel and can't decide if I want to let her go or not. She shoots great with Factory Federal Ammo at 25, 50, and 100 yards. I know if I let her go I'm going end-up wanting to upgrade into some sort of pre-war british double and that will cost me even more money.

When I first started looking into doubles I almost pulled the trigger on a Sabatti but heeded @Rare Breed and a few other members advice and opted to spend a little more. I've since bought a cased Merkel 140AE in 500NE and a Chapuis Elan in 470NE.

I've found I like the fit and feel of the Chapuis better than the Merkel. I think Rare Breed is the opposite and preferred his Merkel the best. I know 2 different PH's that prefer the Merkel over the Chapuis. I keep dragging my feet on selling the Merkel and can't decide if I want to let her go or not. She shoots great with Factory Federal Ammo at 25, 50, and 100 yards. I know if I let her go I'm going end-up wanting to upgrade into some sort of pre-war british double and that will cost me even more money.
Well done my friend!!! You have a very good problem to have!!! You have two nice doubles with both performing well for you, shooting with great accuracy and regulation!!!

Well done my friend!!! You have a very good problem to have!!! You have two nice doubles with both performing well for you, shooting with great accuracy and regulation!!!
And you sir know the dilemma of selling/buying. Especially when the price of what I’ll want is the cost of a 14 of 21 day DG hunt

If you are Hunting Deer size Game Sure. If you are going to Hunt in Africa a 450/400 Is a Much better Choice!!! I have a 500 Nitro Double and they are not for everyone. For Buffalo a 450/400 works and if you are only planning to take one or two Elephant a 450/400 is a Wise Choice!!!

Krieghoff, Blaser and I think Merkel have decockers.

To me this is important.

Heym may be more stylish gun, but my first choice would be Krieghoff every day of the week no matter my budget.

Blaser S-2's are clunky and made with a clamshell action. I think they are beutiful, but not everyone else does. They have not made S-2s in quite a few years, but they are out there.
The only Merkel double rifles I found with decokers are their over/under variants like the B3. I'm unsure if they ever made a side by side with that feature like Krieghoff or Blaser.

I found a S2 on GB in 470NE. Plain wood but it's straight grained and should be strong.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1047161556

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-12 at 8.23.45 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-12 at 8.23.45 AM.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot 2024-05-12 at 8.23.46 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-12 at 8.23.46 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot 2024-05-12 at 8.23.48 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-12 at 8.23.48 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Out of curiosity does the Merkel feel chunky/foreheavy to you?

I've passed on a Merkel before, and been hesitant to pull the trigger on a double I've never handled before because of that weight/balance being an unknown.

The Sabattis for as much as they're bashed feel amazing to me. The Merkel, which seems a solid gun, feels very forend heavy and chunky compared to them.

I've passed on a Merkel before, and been hesitant to pull the trigger on a double I've never handled before because of that weight/balance being an unknown.

The Sabattis for as much as they're bashed feel amazing to me. The Merkel, which seems a solid gun, feels very forend heavy and chunky compared to them.
To me the foreand doesn’t feel chunky. The front half feels to be about the same weight and balance as my Chapuis.

On both the weigh is in the receiver/buttstock more than the forend but there is a little weight to help with muzzle rise compared to other rifles. Well that and a second barrel.

To me the foreand doesn’t feel chunky. The front half feels to be about the same weight and balance as my Chapuis.

On both the weigh is in the receiver/buttstock more than the forend but there is a little weight to help with muzzle rise compared to other rifles. Well that and a second barrel.
Having owned both completely agree with Mtn_Infantry

I did just post the Merkel in the classifieds if you it the OP are interested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swizbills

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]