Vortex Razor Scopes

All the big optics manufacturers have some sort of lifetime warranty. I’ve had the opposite experience between the 2 brands and of the 15+ Leupolds I currently own including a couple that might be older than I am, a newer VX5 Firedot is the one I had to warranty. I’ve never had to warranty a S&B, Swaro, Khales, or Zeiss though
You note a significant difference. Those top brands are pretty much in-house controlling most if not all production. Leupold assembles their scopes from foreign sourced parts. I think the last to be in-house was U.S. Optics. All of the good glass is either German or Japanese these days. That said, modern production has made even lower end scopes quite good and robust. There is the old argument... if you are going to the moon, do you take one Rolex/Omega or two Timex?

Hey all, planning my first trip for myself and fiance and of course, new rifles are on the list of must haves. I have always been a big fan of Vortex as my old Vortex 1x6 was a great optic for hunting Blacktail deer and Elk in the thick forests of Western Washington. Never had to stretch a shot out past 150yds. I am looking at the new Razors and they get great reviews. Plus, being a veteran I can get them at really low prices.

Anyone have any reasons why one of these scopes would be not sufficient for our safari.

Expect a lot of opinions and I know everyone wants a Leupold, Swaro, Nightforce but I just can't justify a $3000 scope.

As always looking to learn from the experience that you guys have.

Thanks in advance.
I think it is a generational thing. Everyone under 40 is required to hunt with Vortex. I am 52 and not allowed in the club.
Seriously I only use Leupold and Swarovski. I've looked through many of the Vortex my family and hunters bring out and Ive not found one I Would use.
For the price conscious the Leupold VX5 must be reviewed as a top option. For the no holes barred selection the Swaro Z8 will ruin you.

You note a significant difference. Those top brands are pretty much in-house controlling most if not all production. Leupold assembles their scopes from foreign sourced parts. I think the last to be in-house was U.S. Optics. All of the good glass is either German or Japanese these days. That said, modern production has made even lower end scopes quite good and robust. There is the old argument... if you are going to the moon, do you take one Rolex/Omega or two Timex?
By big optics brands i meant US ones ie, Vortex, Leupold, Nikon (now out of optics), Bushnell, etc. sorry my post wasn’t clear. I’ve needed to use Bushnell’s warranty less than Vortex but Leupolds the least.

The European brands comment wasn’t in reply to their warranty it was more about them not failing. Even the Z3 3-9x36 which price wise is in the realm of what the OP is going to pay for a higher end Vortex with the Mil discount.

I think it is a generational thing. Everyone under 40 is required to hunt with Vortex. I am 52 and not allowed in the club.
Seriously I only use Leupold and Swarovski. I've looked through many of the Vortex my family and hunters bring out and Ive not found one I Would use.
For the price conscious the Leupold VX5 must be reviewed as a top option. For the no holes barred selection the Swaro Z8 will ruin you.
Pushing 74.... I was raised on Redfields and Tascos.. I also like collecting functional old scopes such as Nickel. I have a West German Ziess that puts tons of scopes to shame. Oh... at close range most scopes are OK but then look at a far distance and wow. My U.S. Optics 10x can discern moons of Jupiter with good eyes.... but not with my eyes. Want the best stereo... forget it after 60. There is buying quality and then there is buying conspicuous.

Let me throw this one out there. Does anyone have any opinion on Trijicon. They have a great reputation for their rugged and reliable performance. I was looking at getting the Night Force but as previously stated they are much too heavy. The Credo 2x10 x 36 FFP looks like a great option for up close and medium range shooting. Advertised price is $1485 which makes it fairly reasonable. Opinions? No one ever mentions them in the post but from my military background they are very well known.

Let me throw this one out there. Does anyone have any opinion on Trijicon. They have a great reputation for their rugged and reliable performance. I was looking at getting the Night Force but as previously stated they are much too heavy. The Credo 2x10 x 36 FFP looks like a great option for up close and medium range shooting. Advertised price is $1485 which makes it fairly reasonable. Opinions? No one ever mentions them in the post but from my military background they are very well known.

Trijicon generally gets good reviews in the durability and tracking department.

With that said, not all NF are heavy. The nxs 2-10 is actually lighter than the credo you mentioned at 20oz and with a larger objective. It is sfp but on a 10x scope it shouldn’t really matter too much. The nx8 1-8 is only 17oz if that works better for one’s application and it is ffp.

I have a Vortex Razor HD 2-10X 40 on my Savage M16 in 7MM-08. To my 53 year old eyes it is as crisp and clear as my Leupold's and has worked without issue since 2017 I believe. I wouldn't hesitate to take it to Africa if I wanted to use that rifle.

I had an AccuPoint and traded it since it was an extra and i favored the S&B, Swaros, and VX6 in that power range. I used to run an NX8 1-8 on an AR but upgraded to the ATACR and absolutely love it. It’s heavy but it’s bombproof

Don't know if it makes any difference to you, all of the Vortex scopes are made in China, Phillipines, or Japan. The only Vortex made in the USA is the Razor HD AMG.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Felix19312

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.