The Ghost and The Darkness - two questions

“ I made many reckless mistakes during my early dangerous game hunting days when I was young, and now that I think about it… it’s a miracle that I’ve been managing to successfully hunt dangerous game for so long without so much as a scratch”

I’ve read many stories and books about many of the famous DG hunters in the early days. There were no PH schools or books to learn from.

One such book was on Wally Johnson. In his early ivory hunting days. He made a lot of deadly mistakes. And slowly learned as he went. Then went on to take Robert Ruark and Fred Bear to many successful hunts.

Even then he had close calls and relied on luck many times.

Can't tell you how many times I've seen the movie. It was our go to after we'd get home from a night out at a local watering hole and were devouring some Whataburger or Taco Bell.

I always found the story in the book more exciting than the movie.

Geez - have never heard of this - thanks, I will look it up.
End of the story: Speake dies in a hunting accident in England. Supposedly set his gun against the fence, it fell down, and killed him. Why do I say supposedly? Watch the movie.

End of the story: Speake dies in a hunting accident in England. Supposedly set his gun against the fence, it fell down, and killed him. Why do I say supposedly? Watch the movie.

Watched it this weekend. Not a bad movie. Yeah - the suicide thing is interesting...

A little tangential, but i have a first edition of Sir Richard’s book…quite a collectible now…FWB

“ I made many reckless mistakes during my early dangerous game hunting days when I was young, and now that I think about it… it’s a miracle that I’ve been managing to successfully hunt dangerous game for so long without so much as a scratch”

I’ve read many stories and books about many of the famous DG hunters in the early days. There were no PH schools or books to learn from.

One such book was on Wally Johnson. In his early ivory hunting days. He made a lot of deadly mistakes. And slowly learned as he went. Then went on to take Robert Ruark and Fred Bear to many successful hunts.

Even then he had close calls and relied on luck many times.

On tangent here but I started in the Logging Industry as a kid in huge Old Crop Trees with 50-60yrs of crap up in them (all gone now) Boss had Metal Helmet with no hearing protection, we used 120cc saws with no anti vibration ( 090 & 076 Stihl ) & no training, Three guys were killed in my crew while I worked there, one the Bosses favorite son .

I left the Bush for a while went back in some years later & had to have certification & extra training but to work in much much safer 25yr old trees that were perfect & maintained.

Any way first day with new tutor he says to us "The days are gone where the Quick learnt from the Lucky"

Bit like when I first started hunting dangerous game on my own !

PS I love Lee Speeds as used in the film & have a small collection of them.

No doubt much has been discussed about the Tsavo lions on this forum, but let's have some fun with these two questions:

1. Who has actually visited the Field Museum in Chicago to view these two mounts on display?

2. What, if anything, would you have done differently than was depicted in the movie or the book in order to deal with these two?

No, I have not visited the Field museum in Chicago.
I would like to.

I'm not sure what I would have done differently. I'm sure we would all done something differently but to be fair we needed to live in that time to have that experience.

To elaborate on the question.
I enjoyed the movie and have read the book.

If I could change something about the movie I would have been there.

I have worked in pest management roles and learned from knowledgeable academics who train government employees, and some academics who are full of it, I learned from landholders observations and experience and my own experience in pest management and from hunting and field work

I was authorised to prepare and supply 1080 poison and other restricted chemicals for vertebrae pests.

The issue with poisoning those Man Eaters was they were taking men as prey. I'm not sure if they would have taken poison baits if a poison was available for use. These animals were said to have been hunting men and no doubt were selectively taking these men opportunistically when it was safest to do so.

No doubt much has been discussed about the Tsavo lions on this forum, but let's have some fun with these two questions:

1. Who has actually visited the Field Museum in Chicago to view these two mounts on display?

2. What, if anything, would you have done differently than was depicted in the movie or the book in order to deal with these two?
I had the opportunity to see the Tsavo lions at the Field Museum in Chicago. Despite the skins being in less-than-ideal condition after serving as rugs for 25 years, the experience was fascinating, especially examining the worn skulls. However, it's a pity the mounts weren't executed by someone of Carl Akeley's caliber. His work at the NY Museum of Natural History is renowned for its excellence during that period.
In contemplating how to handle the Tsavo lions differently than portrayed in the movie or book, I might have considered a more pragmatic approach. For instance, the suggestion of poisoning, although non-traditional, could be seen as a decisive measure given the imperative of running a railroad efficiently. Additionally, a choice of actors like Daniel Day Lewis or Gary Oldman for authenticity in language could enhance the cinematic experience, aligning with personal preferences.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ituiejdnz

Latest profile posts

SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….