The Department of State Celebrates the Ribbon Cutting of the New U.S. Embassy in Windhoek, Namibia

jpr9954

AH legend
Reaction score
Articles
Member of
NRA, SAF, SCI, DSC
U.S. Ambassador to Namibia Randy W. Berry welcomed U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Linda Thomas-Greenfield, representatives of the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Overseas Buildings Operations (OBO), U.S. Mission personnel, and Namibian officials to the formal opening of the new U.S. Embassy Windhoek. The embassy is a testament to the enduring 33-year relationship between the United States and Namibia.

Situated on a 12.8-acre site, the new embassy seamlessly blends U.S. architectural, engineering, and construction expertise with Namibian architectural traditions and locally sourced materials. Its red-sandstone exterior echoes the Namibian landscape, drawing inspiration from local natural landmarks like the Kalahari Desert, Damaraland’s sandstone formations, and the iconic Sossusvlei dunes located in the Namib Desert’s southern region.

The embassy incorporates advanced energy-efficiency systems, including photovoltaic canopies that supply approximately half of the Chancery’s energy needs. In addition, passive environmental strategies and drought-tolerant native landscaping reduce heat gain and irrigation needs, integrating seamlessly with Windhoek’s sustainable water treatment program. Further, the site and landscape design were carefully planned to respect the Klein Windhoek floodplain located adjacent to the property.

Skidmore, Owings & Merrill of San Francisco, California, was the design architect, and B.L. Harbert International of Birmingham, Alabama, constructed the embassy, with PAGE Architects of Washington, D.C., serving as the architect of record. Throughout the project, an estimated $17 million was invested in the local economy, and more than 2,000 Namibians were employed during its construction.

The new embassy reaffirms the strong partnership between the two nations, serving as a hub for diplomatic activities and cultural connections for years to come.

Learn more about the project here.

Architect's rendering of what the new embassy will look like:

1701967176449.png

Drove past there a few months ago. It certainly looked impressive. Hopefully the US will continue to engage in a manner which is beneficial to both nations.

Last edited:
You mean to say we never had an embassy there before, or this is just a new building?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakester1

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?