Something Small I picked up for "tipping"

I've avoided chocolate because it's usually hot at least enough of the trip to melt it ;)

Too many PH'S seem to think a sack of guts is good enough for his "people". You can bet @Just Gina and I both take notice how an Outfitter and PH treat the people working under them ;)

American sensibilities and all being what they are :)
This is good to know about how a PH treats his staff, my buddy and his family had a horrible experience in Zimbabwe with a ph verbally and physically abusing the hunting and camp staff , enough that had to intervene with the outfitters who actually did nothing.
the wife refuses to return with us because of it .
the ph received a small amount and the rest was given to the staff :) in a separate package

On my last trip, I just observed what I thought they obviously needed and mailed items back after the trip. (After I tipped everyone, pretty generously, in American dollars).

Good golly, I've been a "Civil Servant" all of my adult life, and one man told me that I gave him the best tip he had ever received!

I got the address of who I deemed to be the most appropriate person to send items to, and sent him a "care package" with instruction on how to divvy up the items.

In my case -

"Base Camp" needed:
1. A field guide to the birds of Southern Africa
2. A field guide to the plants of Southern Africa
(Two of the staff knew quite a bit about birds and plants, but they weren't exactly ornithologists or botanists, so I thought the books might be put to good use)
3. Better fishing tackle (I also felt a little guilty about losing a good bit of the not-so-good stuff that they had)

My PH needed a copy of "Death in the Long Grass" to help him understand why 55-70 year old Americans have the mindset that we do. He also didn't carry a knife, so he got a Swiss Army Knife with implicit instructions to start carrying it every day!

My "gun bearer", who was a PH in training, didn't have good information on the Holocaust and had genuine interest, so my wife, sent him a couple of books on the subject. He also got a Swiss Army knife.

I sent my skinner a couple of carbon-steel Moras, because they would have been much better for him to use than the fishing knives he had, and they are the cheapest, yet good, knives that I know of that wouldn't be of much use to trade for beer money.

I sent "Buffs" to everyone with instructions, because they seemed to like what I was able to do with mine.

I do not think people read my post correctly. I specifically stated these are not viewed as tips. I, of course, will leave cash. These do not take the place of any cash. Just something extra.
Perfect. You’re on the right track. All the little things are appreciated… As you get aquatinted with staff and the people supporting your effort, you’ll understand better for your next trip! Hell, I pack light so I can bring a suitcase full of gifts that I pass out… I usually leave the suitcase and my new boots there for anyone that can use them.

They are only gifts…

I have always brought gifts for the staff and the PH and family.
Once again gifts, in addition to cash tips.

I tip a little more generously than I need to in cash, but also bring along new caps, knives and snacks to share with the guys. On my last trip I brought along something a bit different for the guys on the truck, because I’ve hunted with them before and will again. I found out their shoe sizes and brought both trackers and our driver new Converse All Star ‘Chuck Taylor’s’., as well as a new 4-pack of Cabelas lightweight wool socks. They love those shoes and theirs are pretty beat up, so they were a big hit. That was in addition to cash tips for the entire crew.

Just make sure there’s cash. It would be much appreciated and totally acceptable as an extra.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
corn-jones

Latest profile posts

Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.