Shipping large caliber ammunition

I stand corrected!

Just going off of what the lady at the Post Office told me...

She probably didn't know.

USPS publication 52 chapter 43 pages 99-104 answers all questions about what can, and can not ship legally and by whom with USPS concerning firearms. No ammunition.
The last update I am aware of is August 2017.

I stand corrected!

Just going off of what the lady at the Post Office told me...

She probably didn't know.
I’ve had them tell me they can’t as well. If I’m not shipping from my regular post office, I normally have the publication pulled up in case they try saying that.

IF small arms/sporting (including military sporting) ammo as detailed above (i.e. 700 NE, et. al.) no problemos. IF you're trying to ship 30mm anti-aircraft rounds-good luck! lol They don't inquire as to caliber.

It's been a while since I've shipped or received ammo (lots of components via USPS)...Doesn't UPS also slap the special-special sticker on the ammo and charge an extra hazmat fee, or is that only for potentially haz reloading components (powders, primer)?? It was $25+ per shipment years back.

Ok so same-and it's worth it with multiple boxes per shipment/pkg. I recall shooting box upon box of $32 per 20 300 WM factory ammo as a kid and it added up quickly (LOL Under biden, the PV of 32 then is $103 now!) Looks familiar, doesn't it? 'Can reload 100 mid bore, more accurate/deadly custom rounds (not assembled by corporate committee) for that amount still today. 'Got into handloading for economics as a teen, but it's paid dividends since!!! They still put the hazmat fee on the components if shipped, so it only pays to mail order in bulk. Hunting-friendly states (the big ones) have reloading suppliers nearby, and excepting the largest DG cases that powder(s) goes a LONG way once your recipes are developed and the guns are dialed in! IF memory serves correctly, even USPS once shipped EVERYTHING not too-too long ago, but 2001-type events put the kabosh on it. "Hazardous" no longer allowed, for the most part.

Last edited:
FedEx or ups, have online account, create label and pay for shipment, request home pickup, declare it limited and tape the half diamond on it, and they pick it up off your porch the next day. You don’t have to be home to sign anything. get a notification when they pick it up, track it until it gets to the destination. Done.

This isn't true. You can ship firearms (no handguns) with USPS as an individual (not having an FFL) following specific rules. Your post office will have some laminate cards on a key ring for the procedure on how to do it. When it comes to shipping firearms, FedEx and UPS are actually harder to ship as an individual than USPS. Ammo is easy to ship via USP and FedEx. Just print the diamond labels and attached to the side of the box.
I mean usps says right on their website clearly you can not use it to ship any ammo

I mean usps says right on their website clearly you can not use it to ship any ammo
My post in response to Safari Dave was to the the firearms part of his reply. My post clearly states firearms (non handgun) can go USPS as an individual (no FFL).

The ammo part of my post states ammo is easy to ship UPS and FedEx with the diamond labels

The USPS will not allow the shipment of firearms or ammo.
Not true. I regularly ship long guns via USPS and prefer it to UPS or FedEx. No issues at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
solomoha

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.