Shape of Rifle Stock for Shooting off of Sticks

swashington

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hey all, I am getting ready to order a new stock for one of my rifles so it will fit my LOP better. There are many different styles of stocks and I have chosen a stock that is close to a classic Remington. My question is what shape of a stock fore end will rest the best in shooting sticks? More flat or rounded? May be a stupid questions but I haven't shot off of sticks yet and when it is time to practice I want to have the correct set up.

Thanks in advance.

I have shot off sticks quite a few times. All my rifles have rounded forends, seems to fit into the V very well. A wide flat forend may not fit so well I would think.

If the fore stock fits comfortably in your non shooting hand it will fit comfortably in the "V" of the sticks. The fore stock doesn't have to be rounded like a "U" , but as @glblanstated you dont want the botom of the fore stock flared out wider than the barrel channel.

Im thinking some of the old Remington fore stocks flared wider at the bottom and were narrow at the barrel channel. They looked and felt great allowing for a better grip on the fore stock. But that was before we learned about using shooting sticks here in the USA.

It depends on the sticks. As above, V shape, rounded forearm works. Last three years I shot off Rudolph sticks which are flat in the front. My stocks are flat and fit that style.

Hey all, I am getting ready to order a new stock for one of my rifles so it will fit my LOP better. There are many different styles of stocks and I have chosen a stock that is close to a classic Remington. My question is what shape of a stock fore end will rest the best in shooting sticks? More flat or rounded? May be a stupid questions but I haven't shot off of sticks yet and when it is time to practice I want to have the correct set up.

Thanks in advance.

Not the question you asked, but an answer nonetheless. Your choice of fore end doesn't matter. Whatever pleases you.

What does matter is the stock geometry and scope ring height above the bore. I wouldn't recommend a remington comb. You want a low comb so your eye is in line with the iron sights and optics in Low / Extra low rings. This allows you to bring the gun up instantly and quickly acquire the target.

Not the question you asked, but an answer nonetheless. Your choice of fore end doesn't matter. Whatever pleases you.

What does matter is the stock geometry and scope ring height above the bore. I wouldn't recommend a remington comb. You want a low comb so your eye is in line with the iron sights and optics in Low / Extra low rings. This allows you to bring the gun up instantly and quickly acquire the target.
I have been used to this issue with the stock stocks that come with the rifles my entire life. I am left handed and 6'6" tall. Nothing fits. The stock is usually an inch too short and the pistol grip is about 3/4" too close to the trigger and with putting a scope on it the cheek weld is too low. The last part I have corrected by using a stock pad from Mystery Ranch. It has inserts that allows me to adjust my cheek weld to the correct position. One issue fixed. Hoepfully I can get my LOP correct. Most don't make a stock with an LOP at 15.25".

Thanks for your input, appreciate it.

I like the he Remington and WBY style for the kickers. As they come back in recoil the comb slopes away from my cheek. Rifles fit everyone differently. I don’t even like shooting a 7mm much if it has a really straight stock.

I have Remington stocks and the WBY style which is flat in front. Both work but the rounder is nicer to rotate side to side when on sticks. But shooting prone, over a rock, tree, ant hill, or my pack I prefer the flat.

I like the he Remington and WBY style for the kickers. As they come back in recoil the comb slopes away from my cheek. Rifles fit everyone differently. I don’t even like shooting a 7mm much if it has a really straight stock.

To each his own. For spot and stalk hunting, shooting off a branch, free hand, or off shooting sticks, I cannot think of a stock design I resent more than the designs you’re describing. I view them as designed for prone and bench shooting and compatible in that endeavor with High and Extra High rings and pic rails. All things the antithesis of a stalking rifle.

My preference would be any of the following in lieu of a remington or weatherby style stock. Also anything in extra low rings in line with the sight plane of iron sights.

IMG_3851.jpeg
IMG_0216.jpeg
IMG_0211.jpeg
IMG_2857.jpeg
IMG_2830.jpeg
IMG_0075.jpeg
IMG_0039.jpeg
IMG_1398.jpeg
IMG_1223.jpeg
IMG_0544.jpeg
IMG_1076.jpeg
IMG_0834.jpeg
IMG_3334.jpeg
IMG_3339.jpeg
IMG_0725.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JunkoCarve

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.
dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross
FDP wrote on dogcat1's profile.
Hello, did both follow through with their transactions? If not, I'll take a pair
Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!