Scope recommendations on a .404J

I came across a good deal, here on AH, with another member selling a Swarovski PH 1.5 x 6 x 42 scope for a good price. When I received the scope, it was in the original box and looked brand new. The scope has the #4 reticle, so it's an ideal scope for my Winchester Mod 70 Super Grade 404 Jeffery. Mounted with Talley quick release mounts.

1707829042324.png

I have a Leupold VX-6HD 1-6x24 Firedot on my 404J. On the 1x setting, it is very easy to shoot with both eyes open. The scope functions like a red dot and target acquisition is extremely fast. The glass is clear and the Firedot makes precise aiming on a dark target in the shadows a non issue. This is my first Firedot scope and I can honestly say I will not be without one on my 404J.

Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 in reticle of choice. Tritium so no battery. Theres a “valve” on the objective to regulate brightness. I’m a big fan.

IMG_5163.jpg

I carried one for 40 or 50 years? with a 3X Leupold or two..The 404 and the 3X fixed suited me then and still does..Not fond of variables, but that's just me. To each his own..I will still buy those 3Xs when I see one if priced right..

I came across a good deal, here on AH, with another member selling a Swarovski PH 1.5 x 6 x 42 scope for a good price. When I received the scope, it was in the original box and looked brand new. The scope has the #4 reticle, so it's an ideal scope for my Winchester Mod 70 Super Grade 404 Jeffery. Mounted with Talley quick release mounts.

View attachment 587036
Who makes the nickel 404 cases?

I just picked up a new Bushnell Elite 1-4x in 30mm tube for my 404J. And it's just now going back to them. Reticle frozen. Simple duplex crosshairs and very clear. But I'm not wild about the oversize turrets. Seems unnecessary that they should be so big. For some reason that seems to be the current fad.
Did it fail from the recoil? I'm curious how those hold up. Bushnell says they can handle magnums but I haven't heard anything about experience on heavier recoil rifles. I have one but just on a .223.

Did it fail from the recoil? I'm curious how those hold up. Bushnell says they can handle magnums but I haven't heard anything about experience on heavier recoil rifles. I have one but just on a .223.
It failed to bore sight right out of the box. Reticle frozen. I'm guessing they will replace it.

It failed to bore sight right out of the box. Reticle frozen. I'm guessing they will replace it.
I see. Yes, sounds like a dud that made it out of the factory. Bushnell's support is excellent and especially with a current model I expect you'll get a replacement.

Mine tracked just fine while zeroing.

I agree that the knobs are bigger than they need to be. I don't think there's anything else in current production that fits the bill of a no bells and whistles, low power hunting scope, with a simple duplex reticle. The VX-Freedom current model has the "pig plex", which is ok but I'd prefer a duplex. Then all the other low power variable Leupolds have the CDS elevation dial. Not something I want for a shorter range scope. Then if you look at other manufacturers, in terms of current production I think they all have busy reticles of some sort. The current Elite 4500 in 1-4x is the closest thing these days to the Nikon Monarch 1-4x (and while those are highly praised, they also had chunky capped knobs).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZTSChris49

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?