Rural council CEO up for dodgy US$900k safari hunting deals Zimbabwe

Wow- Am I confused, TIA or what! I too thought Zim had used or currently uses either USD or Rand. USD or RSA Rand have relative values on a world market- they are what they are, no matter where used or traded. When the Zim dollar lost value at a mil to one, overnight, years ago (early Mugabe IIRC?), it lost all international trade value. If a Zim bank converts a standard currency like USD or Rand to some contrived Zim currency or money, that is what it is also. In other worlds, the bank just stole the value of the difference. This whole thing sounds like where the US has been trying to go since BHO. BTW I got the MAGA hat thing. Anyone who watches MSM news or MSM international news probably won't get any such innuendo. Players like Soros have made billions fomenting anarchy and these unstable economic environments worldwide. They make money playing the short against long game. And does anyone think the low IQ crowd in the MSM would ever report it, much less understand it :)

Last edited:
I was told no one uses Zim currency anymore, not even the Zim govt. Just US dollars. Sounds like economic chaos. Reminds me of the Weimar Republic ... before Hitler's rise to power.
That is not 100% correct. In addition you have fund wiring which is done at one rate,
another is bank rate and then street rate.

Unfortunately there are many employers who pay there workers in Bond at the bank rate, shame, shame.

Lon

These are people who just 200 years ago were essentially living a pre-historic existence without a written history or even utilizing the wheel....and now they are wearing a suit and a tie.
What should we expect will happen when they are put in charge of a country in 2023?

In mid 19 Zim attempted to reestablish its own currency called RTGS or something like that. By mid 20, annual inflation was at 750%. Not the pre-2010 runaway hyperinflation but obviously unsustainable. Right now… economically??

We went from the Zim dollar to Bond, Bond is the current currency, RTGS is a only a in country wire transfer.
Bank rate B5256 to one US
RTGS black market B7000 to one US
Today only

In mid 19 Zim attempted to reestablish its own currency called RTGS or something like that. By mid 20, annual inflation was at 750%. Not the pre-2010 runaway hyperinflation but obviously unsustainable. Right now… economically??

These are people who just 200 years ago were essentially living a pre-historic existence without a written history or even utilizing the wheel....and now they are wearing a suit and a tie.
What should we expect will happen when they are put in charge of a country in 2023?
I am sure you did not mean to lump all Africans as being from the same mold. I guarantee they are not.

Maybe I miss understood and you were referring to what I believe is known as “the squad”.

Lon

That is not 100% correct. In addition you have fund wiring which is done at one rate,
another is bank rate and then street rate.

Unfortunately there are many employers who pay there workers in Bond at the bank rate, shame, shame.

Lon
And it is up to those workers, who vote, to demand an end to shenanigans and corruption, or they shouldn't cry....

And it is up to those workers, who vote, to demand an end to shenanigans and corruption, or they shouldn't cry....
They tried. Watch the PBS documentary. The Zimbabwe Supreme Court refused to recognize the "irregularities" (to put it mildly!) in the last presidential election. You really need to watch it. Don't look at African politics through North American rose colored glasses. It's a different world over there.

I am sure you did not mean to lump all Africans as being from the same mold. I guarantee they are not.

Maybe I miss understood and you were referring to what I believe is known as “the squad”.

Lon
I meant my remarks for the people it applys too

Coming from Africa and especially Zimbabwe, I would assume that you would get my inference

We sold our house in Suburbs, Bulawoyo in 1980. Four bedroom, three bathroom, pool, blah blah, twenty years or more that wouldn't buy you a toilet roll.
There is the official bank rate and and the street rate. The legal (official rate) and the day to day working rate are miles apart. Getting a bail order of Z$40 000 is not what it seems. And in Africa the corruption is on a scale that what you earn annually in the west is what they steal in dollar terms. But I hope that justice prevails.... but TIA

https://www.newzimbabwe.com/rural-council-ceo-up-for-dodgy-us900k-safari-hunting-deals/

NYAMINYAMI Rural District Council (NRDC), chief executive officer, Cletus Gwabva Matingwina, who was arrested on allegations of criminal abuse of duty, appeared in court last week over the dubious awarding of sport hunting concessions.

The cumulative value of potential financial prejudice is over US$ 900,000.

He was arraigned at Chinhoyi Court Complex on Friday facing two counts as defined in section 174 of the Criminal Law (Codification and Reform) Act Chapter 9:23.

Chinhoyi Magistrate Shepherd Munjanja admitted the accused to US$400 bail and ordered him to reside at a given address, not to interfere with witnesses and to report once every fortnight at Siakobvu Police Station.

Matigwina will return to court on December 1 for routine remand.

The complainant in the matter is Benson Share, operations director at the Procurement Regulatory Authority of Zimbabwe (PRAZ).

Matingwina, accused of disqualifying winning bidders and replacing them with ones he favoured, is the CEO and accounting officer entrusted to ensure procurement processes are carried out in compliance with the Public Procurement and Disposal of Public Assets (PPDPA) Act chapter 22:23.

On the first count, the State led by prosecutor Brighton Machekera, alleges in November 2022 council floated a tender and invited bids for sport hunting concessions in Omay North and South under tender number NRDC003/22 and NRDC004/22 in respect of the two swathes of land.

Bids for the two tenders were opened on December 1, 2022, in the presence of bidders and tender NRDC003/22 for Omay North Area 1 got four bids namely Hingeston Hallamore and Koch Safaris (HHK), Sunfish Enterprises (Pvt) Limited trading as Bulembi Safaris, Old Way Safaris (Pvt) Limited and Martin Pieters Safaris.

Court heard that on December 12, the evaluation committee recommended that tender number NRDC003/22 for Omay North Area 1 be awarded to Martin Pieters Safaris having to be the overall highest bidder and, in the event that it fails to take the offer, the contract be awarded to Bulembi Safaris.

However, Martin Pieters was disqualified on the basis that it submitted two bids against the requirement of part (l)(b) of the Standard Bidding Document (SBD), which states that bidders were only allowed to submit one bid.

Mutigwina is said to have sought advice from PRAZ on how to evaluate a tender process where there was the need to balance between the value of investment and community social responsibility.

Initial tendering was subsequently cancelled due to weakness in the SBD, and with PRAZ’s advice, it was recommended to craft a new SBD with clear evaluation criteria striking a balance between trophy fees and community benefits.

As a result, the sport hunting tendering was restarted for Omay North Area 1 and on April 16, 2023 council invited bidders and the same bids responded with their offers.

On April 19, 2023, the accused person appointed the evaluation committee which scrutinised the tender on April 23, 2023, carrying out administrative, technical and financial evaluation.

During the process, it was noted that Martin Pieters Safaris was the bidder, which offered a more feasible community social responsibility. However, out of three bidders, Bulembi had the highest bid based on financial and community benefits. It was then resolved the contract be awarded in preferential order of Bulembi Safaris, Dalton and York, Martin Pieters Safaris and HHK.

The award criteria was also premised on proof of the companies’ directors not having pending issues in court or criminal records.

On April 25, 2023, accused person went on to disqualify Bulembi Safaris on allegations that it was a subsidiary of Safrique Safaris, which had pending cases in the Supreme Court under case number 395/22 which was never attached.

He proceeded to provisionally award the contract to Martin Pieters Safaris contrary to the law, which does not provide for the provisional award of contracts.

Investigations established that there was no evidence to show Bulembi Safaris was a subsidiary of Safrique Safaris. Mutigwina’s unilateral decision to disqualify a recommended bidder in the absence of proof justifying his decision was meant to favour a losing bidder to the prejudice of a winning bidder.

On count two, the chief executive officer disqualified winning bidders for Omay South Area 2 under tender NRDC004/22 in which four bidders took part.

When the evaluation committee sat it recommended that the tender be given to Afropride Safaris on the basis of it being the highest bidder.

However, the accused person, without justifiable reason, issued letters of award that were in contrast with the evaluation committee’s recommendations wherein he cited that Afropride Safaris had failed to provide documentation that cleared it of any crime or pending court cases.

I know of another one of these scenarios, not sure if he was also the guy involved. Friends of mine got evicted effectively from their lease even though they had years invested and years remaining on their concession. It had to go to sealed bid tender...they were the high bidder again. They were told that the bid would be re-run once more, they were the high bidder again, but they lost to a lower bidder named in the list above.

Seven years of anti-poaching patrols, giving to the community, building schools, putting in bore holes, hiring trackers and skinners from the local community....all gone from a corrupt lower bidder that has "big name" reputation in the industry.

Wow- Am I confused, TIA or what! I too thought Zim had used or currently uses either USD or Rand. USD or RSA Rand have relative values on a world market- they are what they are, no matter where used or traded. When the Zim dollar lost value at a mil to one, overnight, years ago (early Mugabe IIRC?), it lost all international trade value. If a Zim bank converts a standard currency like USD or Rand to some contrived Zim currency or money, that is what it is also. In other worlds, the bank just stole the value of the difference. This whole thing sounds like where the US has been trying to go since BHO. BTW I got the MAGA hat thing. Anyone who watches MSM news or MSM international news probably won't get any such innuendo. Players like Soros have made billions fomenting anarchy and these unstable economic environments worldwide. They make money playing the short against long game. And does anyone think the low IQ crowd in the MSM would ever report it, much less understand it :)
The thing my PH told me this past August was in the world currency lists of conversion values Zim currency is not even listed. This means the zim government gives whatever they want and cannot use their own currency to buy outside zim borders

Still curious of this situation, any updates?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mathewflinders

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.