Rem 870 fail to feed...

Axle2010, I’m very familiar with the 870 Express and likely many other members on here are too. Please do not take offense (as Non is intended) but this is one of the cheapest and lowest quality guns ever produced by Remington. It was created as a “low cost alternative” to Remingtons highly regarded “Wing Master”. It had cheaper wood, cheaper less durable finish on the metal - rusts easily (right before your eyes). Remington began to have severe financial problems in the 1990s and quality of their firearms declined.
While 3” loads are Not required to kill pheasant - the gun (if chambered for 3”) should be able to handle them.
If you enjoy shooting and hunting and plan to participate on any regular basis - You might consider selling it and upgrading to something else.
No offense at all like I said it was a trade that I honestly wasn't all that interested in and you're right the finish is pretty sorry. I'm thinking about getting the tools and using it to learn how to checker stocks. Idk why but it looks like fun. I serious sell it but I don't think I could get enough money to bother.

Bee it wasn't easy to spend the extra on the silver when the standard Monte itself is a really nice gun and shoots great but I'm kind of at the point where I'd I can't get what I want I'll just go without and I wanted a purty shotgun. Should be here in the next week or so and I can't wait.
Post some pics when it shows up.

If it makes you feel better, you can sell the 870 to make up the difference between the standard and Silver edition. ;) Should be able to squeeze at least $300 out of it.

Last edited:
Post some pics when it shows up.

If it makes you feel better, you can sell the 870 to make up the difference between the standard and Silver edition. ;) Should be able to squeeze at least $300 out of it.
Bee - good idea, or can use that $300-400 to buy some ammo.

They're exactly where it would go. Couple cases of ammo and couple boxes of skeet to break her in with. Maybe a new Patternmaster to go with
I've had excellent results with Carlson's chokes for my SBE3 and Müller for the Beretta A400. My friend is using Carlson's on his Browning Maxus. If you are going to use a choke with TSS, make sure they are rated for them. All Müller chokes are rated for all shot at all speeds. I've also had excellent customer service from both of these companies.

Take a look at this video before you go too crazy with chokes...or you can jump to around the 18 minute mark and see the results.

I've had excellent results with Carlson's chokes for my SBE3 and Müller for the Beretta A400. My friend is using Carlson's on his Browning Maxus. If you are going to use a choke with TSS, make sure they are rated for them. All Müller chokes are rated for all shot at all speeds. I've also had excellent customer service from both of these companies.

Take a look at this video before you go too crazy with chokes...or you can jump to around the 18 minute mark and see the results.
Bee, good video and I enjoyed watching it - and you know how “little” I care about choke tubes or pattern testing etc….But this video was very good and documents the differences between tubes & chokes in a way that makes sense. Will these chokes actually improve the number of ducks/geese I bag? Not sure but they “should” provide a marginal improvement —- they certainly won’t hurt (except maybe a $$ hit to wallet). Good video -

Bee, good video and I enjoyed watching it - and you know how “little” I care about choke tubes or pattern testing etc….But this video was very good and documents the differences between tubes & chokes in a way that makes sense. Will these chokes actually improve the number of ducks/geese I bag? Not sure but they “should” provide a marginal improvement —- they certainly won’t hurt (except maybe a $$ hit to wallet). Good video -
I've been on the Carlson's train for a while now, well before this video was released by at least 8 years. Müller is pretty new to the game and wasn't available when I had the SBE2 in the early 20-teens. If I had known and been aware of them, I probably would have gone the Müller route with the SBE3.

The difference between the two is very slim, but it is noticeable with the proper measuring equipment. Carlson's will get you about 95-97% of the performance of the Müller for about half the price. At the end of the day it's like anything else...what are you willing to pay for. As you reach the top of the heap, the increments become smaller and at an ever increasing price point. The choice lies with the consumer.

As is, all my SBE2 chokes are the same thread pattern as the SBE3 so it was a simple decision for me when upgrading from one to the other. The SBE2 was sold with the factory chokes only, while I maintained the aftermarket Carlson's for the SBE3. If I were starting out from scratch, I might try one of each and see how it goes from there.

Will you hit more geese/ducks/pheasant with a Carlson's or Müller choke...I will say that the brand of choke you run is no replacement for proper training and practice. Which means I need to get my butt to the range and do some work.

Currently I'm only using 2 chokes regularly in the SBE3. Carlson's Federal Heavyweight TSS for turkey (TKY) and Carlson's Federal Black Cloud Long Range (FULL) for goose, pheasant, trap, skeet, wobble, trap, 5-stand & sporting clays. If I were pressed to use one more it would be the Carlson's Federal Prairie Storm Early Season (Light MOD) for smaller birds like dove & quail. Then again, you know I like a tighter choke for most applications and will vary the load accordingly.

Happy shooting.

I've been on the Carlson's train for a while now, well before this video was released by at least 8 years. Müller is pretty new to the game and wasn't available when I had the SBE2 in the early 20-teens. If I had known and been aware of them, I probably would have gone the Müller route with the SBE3.

The difference between the two is very slim, but it is noticeable with the proper measuring equipment. Carlson's will get you about 95-97% of the performance of the Müller for about half the price. At the end of the day it's like anything else...what are you willing to pay for. As you reach the top of the heap, the increments become smaller and at an ever increasing price point. The choice lies with the consumer.

As is, all my SBE2 chokes are the same thread pattern as the SBE3 so it was a simple decision for me when upgrading from one to the other. The SBE2 was sold with the factory chokes only, while I maintained the aftermarket Carlson's for the SBE3. If I were starting out from scratch, I might try one of each and see how it goes from there.

Will you hit more geese/ducks/pheasant with a Carlson's or Müller choke...I will say that the brand of choke you run is no replacement for proper training and practice. Which means I need to get my butt to the range and do some work.

Currently I'm only using 2 chokes regularly in the SBE3. Carlson's Federal Heavyweight TSS for turkey (TKY) and Carlson's Federal Black Cloud Long Range (FULL) for goose, pheasant, trap, skeet, wobble, trap, 5-stand & sporting clays. If I were pressed to use one more it would be the Carlson's Federal Prairie Storm Early Season (Light MOD) for smaller birds like dove & quail. Then again, you know I like a tighter choke for most applications and will vary the load accordingly.

Happy shooting.
I take the entire choke set with me for bird hunting and a little bottle of loctite blue.

I take the entire choke set with me for bird hunting and a little bottle of loctite blue.
Taking Loctite is a good ideas seeing as I have a thread chaser for the SBE3. The early production SBE2’s came with the tap and I couldn’t let that walk when I sold it. ;)

Taking Loctite is a good ideas seeing as I have a thread chaser for the SBE3. The early production SBE2’s came with the tap and I couldn’t let that walk when I sold it. ;)
My magazine holds a few shells. When I have to limit my capacity I use a fiberglass rod. I chase the threads every so often, but any choke that doesn't have wrench lugs can be a pain after a few shots. I do loctite blue and a silver sharpie reference mark on the underside of the barrel drawn across the marriage of choke and barrel. No worries about it now.

Screenshot_20240201-134218.png

Last edited by a moderator:
same happened to me when i was shooting some 2-3/4"s and wasnt racking the slide hard. figured that was the issue so i racked it harderr and it was just fine.

I shot an 870 Wingmaster from can to can’t. My dad bought it in 1966 for my mom for a present. ( Cough, cough). I shot it from about 1975 to 2010ish. Thousands of ducks. One year I shot 173 ducks by journal. Never once failed to load or fire. Best damn shotgun ever. Waxing nostalgic here.
Doesn’t everyone buy your wives and daughters guns as presents?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kenjohnson1967

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?