Nilgai hunt

That will kill any nilgai that ever walked the planet. The trick will be getting close enough to use it effectively.
I agree. The load and bullet will do the trick but pick an outfitter that will put in the time to get you close. I shot my Nilgai offhand in an oak motte at 40 yards.

I hunted the King Ranch this past mid-February with a family member for Nilgai. Both days ended up being in the high 80's temp wise (unfortunately), just how it worked out. The weather had been a bit cooler previously. My cousin got first stalk through an oak motte to an open grassy area and shot his at under 100 yards. A little behind the shoulder with a 300 grain Swift A-frame (.375 H&H Magnum) and it ended up running right at him and the guide. Another bullet straight on in the chest plus the guide's .35 Whelen with TTSX bullets dropped it within 10 feet of where they were standing.
I had multiple failed stalks over large, open areas and found that Nilgai have incredible eyesight-if you could see them, they could see you, and would run away immediately. Finally I had an opportunity as the sun was setting, after sneaking up on a group of 8 Nilgai, with 2 bulls. Shot mine broadside at 260 yards off Primos Truggersticks-would have liked an opportunity a bit closer. Calmed down and hit my bull broadside through the shoulder with a 300 grain TSX from my .375 H&H Mag, it reared up and ran with the rest and initially wasn't found until it was dark, using headlamps. It ran nearly 100 yards. I'd likely use my .375 H&H Mag again. Both of these nilgai field-dressed out to 307 lbs and 330 lbs.
An oddity was seeing waterbuck running around, I hadn't realized they were on ranches down there.
20240222_200152.jpg

@Trogon That was very useful info. Thanks for posting the field dressed weights. The places that I called are far south in Texas, and am hoping to find something a little further north. Maybe Feb is the right time, based on temps............FWB

@Trogon That was very useful info. Thanks for posting the field dressed weights. The places that I called are far south in Texas, and am hoping to find something a little further north. Maybe Feb is the right time, based on temps............FWB
I believe highs were mid 60's prior to our arrival but also a bit of rain involved. The bulls we shot were about the average size bull we saw. A couple appeared larger but poor opportunities at a shot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheLevitz

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani