New Weatherby Rifle

I have a 270 Weatherby in a Mark V (150g Partitions at 3200 fps), and a XCR II in 375 Weatherby (not 378, 300g A-Frames at 2800 fps) that weighs 7 1/2 lbs with scope. Neither have a brake. Both are absolutely fine as far as recoil is concerned and accurate too!
@colorado
They may be fine but the 30-378 is another beast again. Recoil velocity is what gets you more than the foot pounds
Bob

@colorado
They may be fine but the 30-378 is another beast again. Recoil velocity is what gets you more than the foot pounds
Bob
Bob not only will recoil velocity be very high but i think the rifle being that lite will torque out of the rest from the bench. I have a 6.2 pound 338 that does. I have a very lite 458 Lott and it torques badly.

@radname
Try shooting it off the bench with no brake. Then you will know what a handful it is. I use a brake when hunting without hearing protection as I only usually fire one or two shots so no worries.
Bob
What did you say ,i will have to turn my hearing aids up!.

Bob not only will recoil velocity be very high but i think the rifle being that lite will torque out of the rest from the bench. I have a 6.2 pound 338 that does. I have a very lite 458 Lott and it torques badly.
@Flewis
Mate you must be a gluten for punishment shooting big CALIBERS in light rifles.
Either that or light in the brain department. I know your not that tho as you love 35s so must be the former.
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
Bob

What did you say ,i will have to turn my hearing aids up!.
@rdog
My brain is fine using muzzle brakes.
I can still hear out of by left eye and my vision is perfect in my right ear.
No signs of concussion
Bob

@radname
I only use one on my Whelen due to a shoulder injury. As I only fire one or two shots at a time it doesn't worry me. I don't hear it or feel it when shooting at game but then again my hearing is stuffed anyway.
Bob
Maybe my head acts as some sort of an echo chamber being that it's largely hollow, but I know I definitely prefer the recoil to the muzzle blast without ear protection.

I think that from Weatherby's point of view there was no need for a cartridge caliber 358 in the series. There is already two Weatherby cartridges caliber 338 and two caliber 375.

I have no experience with cartridges caliber 358, but imho they seem to me to have no clear advantage compared to the two other calibers cited, meant 338 and 375.

And not so many bullets in .35 in the weight and speed to hold up in Wby speed

And several of them are borderline in .358 Norma speed and energy levels .

The good bullets that are , is not around in quanta needed .

I would like to have more selection of 260-300 in .35 cal that is tougher around .

And not so many bullets in .35 in the weight and speed to hold up in Wby speed

And several of them are borderline in .358 Norma speed and energy levels .

The good bullets that are , is not around in quanta needed .

I would like to have more selection of 260-300 in .35 cal that is tougher around .
@PerH
All that's in order is the 280gn AFrame, 275 and 210 gn Woodleigh and one other company that makes bullets with different jacket thicknesses.
Not much in the big scheme of things
But what is available is good.
Bob

@radname
Might be they do a .032 and a heavy .05 jacket.
Bob
Screenshot_20240506-191354.png

@PerH
All that's in order is the 280gn AFrame, 275 and 210 gn Woodleigh and one other company that makes bullets with different jacket thicknesses.
Not much in the big scheme of things
But what is available is good.
Bob
Yes it’s some good options and Northfork also have or make some good also
Not forgetting 225 AB either

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FletcherJo

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.