Necking down .416 Ruger brass to make .375 Ruger brass?

CoElkHunter

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA (Life), RMEF
Hunted
USA: Colorado, Wyoming, Arizona, Kansas, Nebraska, California. Ontario, Canada, RSA.
I recently bought a .375 Ruger but the brass is MIA. I CAN find .416 Ruger brass. I would think just reducing the neck using a .375 Ruger die would be sufficient? I really don't want to have to mess with the shoulder with new brass. Any issues the MANY reloading experts here see with this? Right now, I don't care about the "headstamp" issue. Thanks!

There’s lots of ammunition out there. Might be easier to go that route. I know it cost more. You haven’t had cold weather this year, so spend the money you saved on your heating bill.

There’s lots of ammunition out there. Might be easier to go that route. I know it cost more. You haven’t had cold weather this year, so spend the money you saved on your heating bill.
No cold weather? You're right. It was only 23 here today and 13 last night with a dusting of snow when I was working out in it with 60mph winds for a feel like of 0. Quite balmy compared to what's forecast for next week when the Polar Vortex drops down. LOL As far as .375 Ruger ammo, there is quite a bit for about $100/box+ online after shipping, an upcharge for a credit card and tax. Fortunately, an esteemed member here reached out to me and I'm buying some ammo and once fired cases from him. I still might buy the pre Covid priced .416 Ruger Hornady cases from a local LGS in the event anyone here might want/need some. I haven't decided if I want to buy a rifle in that cartridge as it seems Hornady's proprietary factory cartridges and BRASS are becoming more and more unobtanium.

By Jon Sundra, in an article that was published in Shooting Times magazine, wildcatting the 375 Ruger prior to the 416 Ruger introduction.

"Included with the Redding dies was a tapered expander that allowed me to neck up the .375 Ruger brass to .416 inch in one pass. I then sized the necked-up cases, adjusting the sizing die to just kiss the shoulder enough to give a little resistance to the down stroke of the bolt handle."

Edit:
I edited the date out. That date was what showed on my google search. Which the article had been published prior to that.

Last edited:
I would think it would be the same as me making 416 Taylor brass from 458 win mag brass. I have never had any problems doing that.
+1. I’ve had no problems either making the Taylor brass. But that’s a straight case forming the Taylor with a shoulder so the WM case has to be run through the Taylor FL sizing die. I guess Sundra just expanded and sized the neck to the shoulder on the .375 case. But if this was prior to the .416 Ruger, what .416 dies did he use to size the neck with? I guess any would work down to the shoulder?

+1. I’ve had no problems either making the Taylor brass. But that’s a straight case forming the Taylor with a shoulder so the WM case has to be run through the Taylor FL sizing die. I guess Sundra just expanded and sized the neck to the shoulder on the .375 case. But if this was prior to the .416 Ruger, what .416 dies did he use to size the neck with? I guess any would work down to the shoulder?
Per his article:

" By that time, the dimensional specs for the .375 Ruger had been registered with SAAMI, so what little changes had to be extrapolated from those specs to arrive at the reamer and chamber dimensions for a .416 version were easily computed.

Ditto for the reloading aspect. A call to Dick Bebee of Redding Reloading, a guy who's always interested in projects such as this, and arrangements were made for reloading dies. "

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GildaHarkn

Latest profile posts

SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….