Mountain Lion Hunt-without dogs

not nearly as much fun
M70375!: NO it’s Not as much Fun BUT you might actually shoot a Cougar within 10 years. Hunting Success Rates for shooting a “good” Tom Cougar vary By method: Stand/trail watching = 1 every 40 years. Hunting over bait/carcass = 1 every 10 years. Predator Calling = 1 every 5 years. Praying directly to God and remaining a Virgin all your life = 1 every 4 years. Hunting behind good hounds = 1 every 2 years….worth the $7000-$10,000 you’ll pay.

M70375!: NO it’s Not as much Fun BUT you might actually shoot a Cougar within 10 years. Hunting Success Rates for shooting a “good” Tom Cougar vary By method: Stand/trail watching = 1 every 40 years. Hunting over bait/carcass = 1 every 10 years. Predator Calling = 1 every 5 years. Praying directly to God and remaining a Virgin all your life = 1 every 4 years. Hunting behind good hounds = 1 every 2 years….worth the $7000-$10,000 you’ll pay.
Not to look down on hound hunters, but I would rather hunt 5 years by calling to get a lion , than get one very year with dogs. It is so much more rewarding

Not to look down on hound hunters, but I would rather hunt 5 years by calling to get a lion , than get one very year with dogs. It is so much more rewarding
Catching a fly with chopsticks is rewarding too... but I'm going to use the swatter and move onto the next thing on my bucket list.

As sitting for hundreds of hours watching every animal in the forest except the one you are after? Yeah, that sounds sucky.
last year I called one in and killed it on the first day. Sat for 90 minutes
IMG_0323.jpeg

As a Predator caller myself - agree that calling one in would be a Lifetime trophy. But odds are you’ll shoot “any” Cougar the comes in - Not much time to judge one therefore female, 2 year old Tom or smallish Cat = all get shot or shot at. Hunting with Hounds is as much about appreciating the fine hound work as it is whatever Cat they tree. You can decide to only release Hounds on a “Big track” insuring a mature Cat. Keeping up with the Hounds and just getting to-the-tree in deep snow or up a mountainside = earning your cat. It is much more than shooting a “kitty out of a tree” even when that is the final result. I love hound Hunting and seeing good dogs do what they were bred for and also the final result of being able to take a mature Tom or “pass” a Cougar that is Not up to my standards

As a Predator caller myself - agree that calling one in would be a Lifetime trophy. But odds are you’ll shoot “any” Cougar the comes in - Not much time to judge one therefore female, 2 year old Tom or smallish Cat = all get shot or shot at. Hunting with Hounds is as much about appreciating the fine hound work as it is whatever Cat they tree. You can decide to only release Hounds on a “Big track” insuring a mature Cat. Keeping up with the Hounds and just getting to-the-tree in deep snow or up a mountainside = earning your cat. It is much more than shooting a “kitty out of a tree” even when that is the final result. I love hound Hunting and seeing good dogs do what they were bred for and also the final result of being able to take a mature Tom or “pass” a Cougar that is Not up to my standards
At the age of 70 now in a few weeks with a bad leg and a sore hip, so I would much rather sit on stand calling than try to keep up with the dogs in deep snow and steep country

last year I called one in and killed it on the first day. Sat for 90 minutesView attachment 595231
I've been bowhunting and calling animals, from raccoons to bears for more than four decades... I am not afraid of the challenge... but when someone online asks about taking a certain animal in a certain fashion, someone needs to splash a little reality into the situation. Of course it "CAN" be done and it "HAS" been done... just not sure the OP or too many others are prepared to make the investment of time, money and patience required.

At the age of 70 now in a few weeks with a bad leg and a sore hip, so I would much rather sit on stand calling than try to keep up with the dogs in deep snow and steep country
M70375!: Good Point and I can’t think of any more exciting trophy to take then calling in a Cougar on your own - that wold be the ultimate Predator hunt for me (I’m thrilled when a Fox comes in !).

I've been bowhunting and calling animals, from raccoons to bears for more than four decades... I am not afraid of the challenge... but when someone online asks about taking a certain animal in a certain fashion, someone needs to splash a little reality into the situation. Of course it "CAN" be done and it "HAS" been done... just not sure the OP or too many others are prepared to make the investment of time, money and patience required.
HOYTCANON: I think if you actually live in an area or State with Cougar’s - then “calling” is a realistic way to hunt them — you have time and local knowledge, cost might be minimal as well And you just accept the Low Odds (adds to the accomplishment if you are successful). But, to fly out West and have only a week or 10 days and expect to even have a 25% chance of seeing one is being “highly optimistic“. For a local hunt, in my home State or on my land - low odds are fine - I’ve got nothing else better to do anyway….but for a paid-guided-Out of State Hunt - I want a reasonable chance.

HOYTCANON: I think if you actually live in an area or State with Cougar’s - then “calling” is a realistic way to hunt them — you have time and local knowledge, cost might be minimal as well And you just accept the Low Odds (adds to the accomplishment if you are successful). But, to fly out West and have only a week or 10 days and expect to even have a 25% chance of seeing one is being “highly optimistic“. For a local hunt, in my home State or on my land - low odds are fine - I’ve got nothing else better to do anyway….but for a paid-guided-Out of State Hunt - I want a reasonable chance.
Yeah, that was my point... the OP is asking for an outfitter, so it is highly likely that he is not in a cougar area and without dogs, you may be making MANY trips and sitting for weeks in the bush... not many people really want to accept that cost for those odds.

I’ve called in four mountain lions while calling elk and have seen four others in daylight but that’s over a 33 year career in the field from August - January. I wouldn’t book a client without hounds.

two weekends ago with fresh snow we treed four cats in three days. To be fair one tree had a female and the male at the same time-who I assume was trying to get some tail. . . Turned them all down and walked away. This is public area, open to anyone and over the counter permits. Good hounds and houndsmen are worth every penny. But if calling is your thing then carry on sir, carry on!

I heard this new caller is being used with success. But it's out of the price range for many (including myself):

I heard this new caller is being used with success. But it's out of the price range for many (including myself):

I’ve heard about these higher frequency callers and am sure they work fine but so does almost “any Ecaller”, FoxPro etc… and mouth calls too - as long as you don’t mind blowing them like a Trumpet for hours !! I believe lots of Marketing goes into convincing Hunters that one caller is better then the others but most important is Calling into good habitat and having a predator within hearing distance, sit still, don’t miss

Something like 90% of lions are taken with hounds and 9.something percent are incidental (hunting other animals) and the remaining is specifically hunting lions without hounds.

Lions are just about everywhere in the state. The odds are a lion will see you and you’ll never know it’s there.

You can predator call. Just be patient and watch your movement. However you never know what will come in so be prepared.

Have realistic expectations especially since you’re bow hunting. Pay close attention to the quotas especially if there’s been any snow. That’s prime time for using hounds and the quotas can be met in short order.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bvanpelt

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.