Medium game with a 505 gibbs or 500 jeff

Certainly not 500.......
30-30 for hogs and swamp deer is the first caliber that pops into my mind......but hell what do I know about hogs and swamp deer....
I said hogs and swamp deer (tongue in cheek, of course), however you had an opinion before I brought that up... so... care to share... you mention "waking up" regarding PG... care to enlighten us?

CEB makes a .485gr safari raptor in .505dia. that I'm curious about. Has anyone tried this style of bullet?
Big fan of CEB Bullets... Yes shot a Buff with my Gibbs in 2022 using CEB 485gr Raptor... Frontal slighlty quartering 35 yards enter just infront of the left shoulder exited behind right rib cage .. Also a Tuskless with CEB's 525gr Solid side brain and a Bush Pig with the CEB 525gr Solid
IMG_0814.jpeg

I shot a hyena with mine. It was a target of opportunity during a buffalo hunt. My rifle is a Granite Mountain lefty made by AHR. I'm liking the pics of the other 505s on this thread.

6239.jpeg
20240117_090645.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If the game is not medium sized, it WILL BE after you knock a chunk of flesh out of it with those big honkers...

Big fan of CEB Bullets... Yes shot a Buff with my Gibbs in 2022 using CEB 485gr Raptor... Frontal slighlty quartering 35 yards enter just infront of the left shoulder exited behind right rib cage .. Also a Tuskless with CEB's 525gr Solid side brain and a Bush Pig with the CEB 525gr Solid View attachment 601993
Fantastic! Thanks for the input. I'm excited to try some of their bullets.

A write up on the Bauska rifle

Olympic Arms purchased the tooling to produce these actions from a Montana resident named Jack Bauska back in the late 1980's. The actions are large frame Mauser style actions for Safari size cartridges like the 375 H&H and larger. With a box magazine length of 3.85" and a collar size to match, these actions were some of the strongest bolt action receivers ever made (investment cast), and could handle anything up to and including the .505 Gibbs cartridge.
Last manufactured in 2002 with an upgraded 3 position Winchester style safety and Timney triggers, the ultramag actions, still often referred to as the Bauska, or BBK action by many, were highly sought after actions for custom rifle manufacturers around the world. Standing orders existed for the Gibbs Rifle Company as well as the smashingly famous Holland & Holland Rifle Company.

Lester Osborn Bauska passed away on 11th November 2011, leaving behind him a legacy of some of the best rifle barrels, and some of the nicest custom rifles you could buy. Les had spent some time working for John Buhmiller who was a famed gunsmith and African hunter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MeaganHerr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.