Lets see some Kudu!

My 10 year old grandson and I shot this bull together last week.

IMG_1049.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been looking at spear safari. How did you like the people, accommodations, hunting property, etc?
I think Spear Safaris is very good. Ernest Dyason is personable and a good PH whom I’d happily hunt with. Nice camp and we hunted quality properties. If I hunt South Africa someday in the future, I’m highly likely to go with them again. I can’t think of anything we found issues with, it was all good.

I think Spear Safaris is very good. Ernest Dyason is personable and a good PH whom I’d happily hunt with. Nice camp and we hunted quality properties. If I hunt South Africa someday in the future, I’m highly likely to go with them again. I can’t think of anything we found issues with, it was all good.
Thanks,

Did the hunt feel fair chase? Not canned?

Thanks,

Did the hunt feel fair chase? Not canned?
Yes, it was fair Chase. But, it’s South Africa so a lot different than places like Zimbabwe or Tanzania. I can tell you this about fair chase with Spear, one property we hunted, for Eland, was only about 12,000 acres but thick bush. Despite lots of tracks and hunting hard, we were not able to get the eland bull we were seeking killed In the 3 days we devoted to that effort.

Last year in southern Namibia with Frontier Safaris on their 130,000 acre game ranch. This was an old bull with heavy tooth wear.
I've taken plenty but never a really big one. Maybe some day.
View attachment 601862
Great bulll, thing just goes straight up for ever.

My 3 best ones... or 4 ? A question of "geographically distinct populations" ?

View attachment 601539
Eastern Cape, free range, 2018

View attachment 601537
Eastern Cape, free range, 2022

View attachment 601536
Southern Greater, free range, Kalahari 2022

And to complicate the question regarding sub-species, or more scientifically speaking: "geographically distinct populations", take a look at this Kudu, which the PH insisted was a "Karoo Kudu" taken in a small gully almost on top of the Sneeuberge. It is much smaller in size, although clearly fully mature, and quite interestingly, notice both the color, and how its pelt has the wholly texture of high altitude dwellers, typical of the Vaal Rhebok in Africa. I am not taking a position on whether this is, or not, a 'different' Kudu, but I must admit that the wholly pelt argument resonates...

And by the way, the PH also insisted that of all my Kudus, this is comparatively the best trophy. Maybe (?), I do not know(?), but admittedly it does look different, and I had never seen one like this before...

View attachment 601540
Karoo (?), free range, 2022
Some nice bulls, thanks for sharing. What time of the year did you take tha bull in the Karoo?

We have been home a week now and he is still smiling.
Thats so cool, pumped to see ayoung man falling in love with Africa at a young age!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Felix19312

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.