Hunting opportunities near Melbourne?

Bearkat

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa (Eastern Cape), USA (GA, LA, ME, MI, MS, NC, NH, SD, TX, VA)
I will be in Melbourne for 10 days this June. Are there any hunting opportunities within a reasonable distance of the city? I've looked at one place via another site, but they said they cannot accommodate me during the dates I am there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi mate
Your best option for hunting near Melbourne in June will be sambar deer. They're tough hunting in mountainous country, but if you're up for a challenge they're a fantastic game species. It'll still be a couple of hours drive to get into good country. There's public land (with permit) or guided options available. And there are a couple of guys running hound hunts for Sambar if you're into something unique.

Cheers Tim

I will be in Melbourne for 10 days this June. Are there any hunting opportunities within a reasonable distance of the city? I've looked at one place via another site, but they said they cannot accommodate me during the dates I am there.

June is prime sambar deer hunting time. There is plenty of hunting within 2-4 hours of Melbourne. I could take you out, but there are no guarantees of anything and I could only lone you a left bolt rifle.

I can suggest a couple of sambar guides, but they may already be booked out over the time you are here. Feel free to PM me with more detail of what you are looking for.

To hunt deer in Victoria you will need a Non Resident Game Licence. For the procedures to gain a Non-resident Game Licence you might like to visit https://www.gma.vic.gov.au/licencing/apply-for-a-game-licence
1713735687576.png

As an international visitor, you would need an International Visitor Permit from the Victoria Police in order to use a firearm. https://www.police.vic.gov.au/firearms-forms-and-reference-information

If you would like a day on the range, the Melbourne branch of the Big Game Rifle Club has their June shoot on Sunday 2nd June and their July shoot Sunday 7 July. I'm sure you'd be most welcome to attend

1713735620664.png
1713735687576.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeonardMrh

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.
dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross
FDP wrote on dogcat1's profile.
Hello, did both follow through with their transactions? If not, I'll take a pair
Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!