Hornady seating stem

francois_458

AH member
Reaction score
Hunted
South Africa, Mozambique
Good day all
I have previously loaded nosler 140gr ballistic tip bullets for my 6.5x55 using lee dies. I tjen switched over to 130gr rdfs and got new Hornady custom grade dies. The first few rounds I loaded went fine, the the other day I loaded 10 additional round. These last 10 I noticed that the tips of my bullets were being slightly flattened during the seating process. Does hornady make a seating stem that would accommodate 130gr vld style bullets?

TIA

In the past I have used 6mm seating steams to allow for this problem. Hornady does make seating stems for their A tip line of bullets that are very sleek. If you happen to a 6mm seating die you can borrow the stem out of to try. I would start with that, some 7mm stems will work also. The 7mm class of bullets seem to need alot of clearance do to their high BC bullets.

In the past I have used 6mm seating steams to allow for this problem. Hornady does make seating stems for their A tip line of bullets that are very sleek. If you happen to a 6mm seating die you can borrow the stem out of to try. I would start with that, some 7mm stems will work also. The 7mm class of bullets seem to need alot of clearance do to their high BC bullets.
Thanks
I will see want I can get my hands on
I was pretty happy with the seating stem on the lee dies, but was just not able to get anny consistency in my seating depth
I've got a good friend with 6mm dies, perhaps I'll try his seating stem

So I've not yet been able to get my hands on a different stem (working on it), but was wondering wat impact the slightly flattened tips would have on poi?

20240407_190825.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have a vise just drill out the seating stem.

You are basically closing the tip. Good chance that it will not open up. It will change the BC some. I'm sure it will be minimal, when point bullets, we would see 1/2 moa at 1k.

Good day all
I have previously loaded nosler 140gr ballistic tip bullets for my 6.5x55 using lee dies. I tjen switched over to 130gr rdfs and got new Hornady custom grade dies. The first few rounds I loaded went fine, the the other day I loaded 10 additional round. These last 10 I noticed that the tips of my bullets were being slightly flattened during the seating process. Does hornady make a seating stem that would accommodate 130gr vld style bullets?

TIA
Yes Hornady do have seating stems for their 6.5 VLD BULLETS they are on their web site

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdalbertoP

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.