Help please - airline shotgun case

Major Bonkers

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Articles
Hello everyone - I am hoping that someone might be able to help with this inquiry.

Ideally what I would like to do is to fit two dismantled double rifles and one Mannlicher rifle (length: 42"/ 105cm) into one rifle or shotgun flight case, which complies with the checked-in baggage dimensions.

The checked-in baggage requirement is a maximum of 90 x 75 x 43cm (35.5 x 29.5 x 16ins). (This is the Virgin flight from Heathrow to Johannesburg.) By complying with these dimensions, I can avoid the outsize baggage handling costs.

I know exactly what I want in my mind's eye: one case with a flap on either side, in one of which compartments the Mannlicher can be placed diagonally, and the two rifles in the other compartment. This is the ideal, but I am probably stuck with the usual suitcase-type design.

I have had a look at the obvious Pelicase range, but they do not really comply with the baggage dimensions. The specific long rifle cases get me back into the outsize baggage (and, in any case, I already have an aluminium 3-gun case). In fact, almost everything available - so far as I can see - gets me into the outsize baggage: the difficulty is the relatively short allowed length of 35 1/2"/ 90cm.

Any help most gratefully received. No Chinese crap, please. I suspect that what I really want does not exist, and is an opportunity for any enterprising gun case manufacturer.

@Major Bonkers what is the max length of the dismantled double rifles and/or the Mannlicher rifle, which I am assuming you will separate the barreled action and stock.

A Pelican travel case, size wise might work, but I think weight will become the limiting factor. The empty weight, with foam is almost 30lbs. Three rifles will likely push you past the 50 lbs. limit.

1712749926024.png

You could also try putting the guns into a golf club case. Virgin Atlantic appears to be more generous to golfers than hunters/shooters.

1712750337624.png

Attachments

• iM2975 Storm Travel Case | Pelican Official Store.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
Dear Gentlemen, thank you for your help.

In answer to Mr. 375 Ruger Fan, the Mannlicher has a length of 42" (105cm). The two double rifles are essentially the same as dismantled shotguns.

Bloody Richard Branson has also increased the outsize baggage fee to £200 ($250) each way. No wonder the man's a billionaire. British Airways, on the other hand, appears not to charge anything extra for outsize bags. I am not sure that I can stand BA bolshiness, though; flying with a rifle gets you to the top of the queue for being bumped off the flight.

Anyway food for thought. My idea at the moment is to add a golf club to my three rifles and claim that I'm a golfer flying with rifles. The problem with that plan is that nowadays you are not supposed to add anything to the rifle case, but my golf club can be thrown away, and by the time they twig that I have mixed a golf club into the rifle case it will already have been checked in. Or perhaps I could duct tape it to the outside if (when) they kick up a fuss.

Mr. Rimbaud's idea of the Tuffpak is a good one too, but it would be too short even for my Mannlicher.

The ultimate answer, as we all know, I suppose, is to get takedown rifles. Anything else, and you are just asking to get raped by the airlines.

Have you looked at Ethiopian Airlines ? I took a long pelicase out a couple of times, 1720 ? I had two rifles. It simply didn’t occur to me to disassemble them. I do now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VirgieDunh

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.
dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross
FDP wrote on dogcat1's profile.
Hello, did both follow through with their transactions? If not, I'll take a pair
Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!