Greener .577 Howdah Pistol

Sarg

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
New Zealand - Australia - Sumatra - Kenya - Zimbabwe - Namibia - South Africa - Botswana - Alaska - Nevada - Hokkaido - Greenland - New Caledonia
Well after many many years, I have managed to secure a real Howdah Pistol, this can keep company with my two .577 Boxer revolvers, when I finally get it in hand !

It is chambered in the .577 Snider round so would have a great effect on a Tiger hopping onto your Elephant !

W.W Greener .577 of mine -.jpg

W.W Greener .577 of mine.jpg

I remember being a kid watching my favorite movie “The Ghost and The Darkness”, and my father telling me about the howdah pistol. Too cool!

It looks it is in good shape!
Congrats on your acquisition!

Just out of curiosity, do you plan to try it? Ammunition is not available around, so reloading is necessary?

Well after many many years, I have managed to secure a real Howdah Pistol, this can keep company with my two .577 Boxer revolvers, when I finally get it in hand !

It is chambered in the .577 Snider round so would have a great effect on a Tiger hopping onto your Elephant !

View attachment 554693
View attachment 554694
How about a photo of your 577 trio.

I won't be firing the old girl but yes if you have a .577 Snider it is a reloading job !

When I get it in hand I could do that, mean while here are the others.

My .577s Small pic.jpg

Lovely! I used to have a H. Holland revolver in .500 Eley. Wish I kept it!

I forgot about posting these, here is the set, with .577 Boxer rounds & .577 Snider rounds, one is a Shot load

My .577s =.jpg

@fsrmg1 I would love to get hold of a .500 Eley-Boxer, I have a few rounds but the only revolver I found I just could not afford.

Do you have any pics of your H&H to share ?

Old guns deserve to be shot. It’s the only way to gain true historical perspective. :)

It appears to be sound so really no reason not to shoot it with light BP loads. Inspect integrity of barrels. I shoot all my old, original BP cartridge and muzzleloader guns without issue.

Get some 24 gauge Magtech hulls, large pistol primers and 24 gauge fiber (filler) wads. Trim hulls to standard Snider length of 2” and check that length to make sure of no contact with end of chamber. Load about 30 gr FF BP. Fill remaining space with fiber wads. Seat 577 Minie or 577 solid base conical on top with light compression of wads.

Looks like bbls easy to remove for cleaning. Regular cloth patches on pistol cleaning rod with lots of hot soapy water followed by hot rinse water. While bbls still hot, dry with paper towel patches. Lightly oil all surfaces.
Enjoy :)

We can't discharge our collectable handguns here but theoretically 55gr of BP & a 450gr slug would do this !

Howdah .577.jpg

I remember being a kid watching my favorite movie “The Ghost and The Darkness”, and my father telling me about the howdah pistol. Too cool!
Oh dear God ! “Being a kid” I’m really showing my age as that movie is quite recent in my books.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarioWinsl

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?