Good Gun Deals This Week

Apologies for a mild thread disruption.

Were the Parker Hales that bad in function? I’ve seen that complaint on multiple threads dealing with these “Finished by Rigby” rifles.

I myself have not owned any but I know of number of people who shoot PH rifles. They seem to function fine and actually shoot extremely well. Where they lack heavily is the horrifically varnished and poorly fit stocks.

I’ve never seen a “finished by Rigby” in person. Wouldn’t that address the wood and fit issue?

I’m just curious as I’ve seen this stated a lot . No offense intended. And not a .300 win mag fan so no interest in buying that one

It’s a $400 Parker Hale rifle clothed in a $10,000 name. That’s the primary issue. Engraving the word Rigby on it is not sufficient to appreciate the gun.

There’s an old adage, by the gun, not the maker. It definitely applies as a cautionary warning to this rifle.

What are the thoughts on this beauty? I know C&H guns can be all over the map in terms of value.

IMG_9575.png
IMG_9576.png

What are the thoughts on this beauty? I know C&H guns can be all over the map in terms of value.

View attachment 603714View attachment 603715

These rifles are probably my favorite of all 375HH guns. They are very well built, have extremely long 14.5” stocks for a vintage rifle, and all of them have been very accurate with 26” barrels. Their wood is all straight without burl for durability, but with very nice contrasting grain.

The feed on all I’ve owned and handled are smooth as butter.

You do need to install a mod 70 safety on them to get them perfect eye relief with low rings. I think with C&H 375HHs I’ve taken 3 different DG species and countless plains game.

The other minor tweak is the serial number is usually inside the magazine floor plate, so I use model paint to amplify the visibility so I can get through rifle inspections quickly.

They have large eye sling studs so you can use uncle mikes swivels, or fish hooks, or rawhide thong slings.

The only other malady is a cheap one: you need to buy extra strength magazine follower springs for $12 each. Buy several. When you carry them +5 the springs wear out and then you have a feed issue that is fixed for $12. Or, just use them +4. I consider that a reasonable cure to a common problem. I always bring a spare spring on safari and swap it in without tools halfway through to ensure I get flawless feed.

There is a rarer model that has one noted upgrade, a handful of them had rigny style quarter ribs, but the majority have a standing and folding rear island sight.

To get another London rifle of equal quality, you’ll pay another $8000 more.

IMG_2980.jpeg

PostScript: they did make some of these on the p14/p17 action type. Not nearly as good as the Mauser 98. The Mauser is more common in 375HH and rarer in 404J.

Last edited:
Finished by rigby
Shot and sighted by X
No different to what they did a hundred years ago, and those are desirable now.

Bergara Premier Highlander on clearance at Euro Optic.

I have two of these. They outperform their price. At 1,300.00 its steal.

Bergara Clearance.
Nice. But at 7.7lbs for the .300WM I’m looking at a Browning X Bolt at 6.9lbs.

Nice. But at 7.7lbs for the .300WM I’m looking at a Browning X Bolt at 6.9lbs.

That’s why they have been discontinued. The new premier models are going to carbon stocks and some carbon barrels.

For the type of hunting i tend to do with a rifle, I actually like the extra weight. If I were going on a mountain hunt I’d look at some of their new light weight options.

I’m cool with the fiberglass stock and suppressor ready barrel.

I bought two of these a few years ago. I got one for my sister, who has a god awful flench, for her first suppressor host. She shoots it better than any rifle she’s ever shot.

She dropped the dear below in its tracks this year.

I got one for me also for god knows why because I rarely rifle hunt outside of Africa. It shoots cloverleaf groups at 100yds w factory Hornady ammo.
IMG_9520.jpeg

That’s why they have been discontinued. The new premier models are going to carbon stocks and some carbon barrels.

For the type of hunting i tend to do with a rifle, I actually like the extra weight. If I were going on a mountain hunt I’d look at some of their new light weight options.

I’m cool with the fiberglass stock and suppressor ready barrel.

I bought two of these a few years ago. I got one for my sister, who has a god awful flench, for her first suppressor host. She shoots it better than any rifle she’s ever shot.

She dropped the dear below in its tracks this year.

I got one for me also for god knows why because I rarely rifle hunt outside of Africa. It shoots cloverleaf groups at 100yds w factory Hornady ammo. View attachment 604097
The Bergaras ARE very nice rifles. I’ve looked at a couple and a LGS here has them and Christensen for 20 percent off. The Bergaras also have polished chambers and barrels, so no barrel break in required like the Christensen. Would be a big plus for me with limited range time available.

Last edited:
One hour to go CZ 550 458 win mag. Now at $1220.00. Ad #1049034518 On gunbroker

Not a deal, but look at this craziness! Gives little hope for the poor amongst us haha. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1048792382
Anything .404 goes for a huge premium. Obviously a nice stock as far as CZ’s go, but no telling what the ending price will be. Almost makes sense to get an action and have your ‘smith build a rifle with a nicer stock.

Man, I sold so much .404 brass here for what I had in it that I could have retired (for a day or two). :) :) :) cleaning up last weekend I found another hundred pieces of virgin Bell brass. Should list on Gunbroker for the new .404 owner. Everything .404 is crazy.

Anything .404 goes for a huge premium. Obviously a nice stock as far as CZ’s go, but no telling what the ending price will be. Almost makes sense to get an action and have your ‘smith build a rifle with a nicer stock.

Man, I sold so much .404 brass here for what I had in it that I could have retired (for a day or two). :) :) :) cleaning up last weekend I found another hundred pieces of virgin Bell brass. Should list on Gunbroker for the new .404 owner. Everything .404 is crazy.
You want to get rid of that brass you found?

You want to get rid of that brass you found?
I have plenty, but honestly would be embarrassed to ask what it is going for these days. Last group of Bell I saw sold for something between 8-9 dollars each. That is crazy! I sold a bunch of other .404 Bell brass to help folks out on here a couple years ago for a dollar a case because that’s what I had in it. I think I’ll post this on GunBroker. I’ve never sold anything there, but that will assuage my guilt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasLe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.