Gastinne Renette info?

wvfred

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Zimbabwe x 2 and Zambia
I recently traded for a shotgun that I would like to find more information on like date of manufacture and anything else that someone can tell me.It is a Gastinne Renette 10 gauge hammer gun and seem of very high quality.Any information would be greatly appreciated.
-6017963111050845463.jpg
2575446050103096193 (1).jpg
-9034729483890882857.jpg
-6212750794703054533.jpg
20240503_105224.jpg
20240503_105309.jpg

It has 31 1/2" barrels that I would think are Damascus but have been blued.

It is a beautiful shotgun,the LEG proof I think is Belgium.The NON POUR BALLE is (not for ball) The rest I can't find anywhere.

I am not an expert...

Are there more proofs under the chambers? I'm not seeing a smokeless proof so I'm guessing it's proved for black powder. The K with a star is for inspector Delsaux Walthere who worked as an inspector from 1929 to 1968. But that's where it seems odd because in 1924 Belgium began marking guns with the gauge and chamber length in an omega symbol on the barrel flats. Also, I would think the lettres annales (date of proof) would be stamped on the barrel flat or receiver if it was inspected by Monsieur Walthere after 1929. Is there no other proof marks on the gun? Its possible the K with a star was for an earlier inspector prior to 1924 that I do not have records for. The "non pour balle" stopped being used a little before or around 1900. Stunning hammer gun either way... The real experts in these things are on the double gun forum. Good luck in your search!

No other proof marks that I can find......Thank you for the information.

Before they closed up I used to visit Gastinne Renette on the Rue de Franklin Delano Roosevelt in Paris. Their shop was next door to Lasserre, one of the finest restaurants in the world. They were a top quality maker and had an excellent gun room. Their later guns were often made by Italian makers, but were excellent guns. I have some of their literature somewhere in the gun room...

I sent an email to them although they just sell accessories now I'm hoping they still may have records.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VictorinaG

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]